- Offers discussions of basic pathological processes as well as coverage of common diseases encountered in systems pathology for a complete review.
- Includes comprehensive updates, with relevant molecular pathology issues explained in the context of the clinical presentation, the treatment implications, and the underlying pathological processes
- Presents nearly 650 images of the highest quality that vividly and clearly illustrate the essential features of pathology and enable you to make definitive comparisons to your own lab views.
- Features concise text that distills basic and complex information into a coherent explanation to help you understand key points quickly and easily.
- Provides keys to the lettering in images at the bottom of each page, saving you time in reviewing figures.
- Serves as a companion text to Wheater’s Functional Histology, 5th Edition, offering a comparison of normal histology with the pathological changes in disease.
- Features a short review section at the end of each chapter covering the key point of the chapter in brief form for the perfect pairing of reference and review.
Preface to the fifth edition vii
Preface to the first edition viii
PART 1 BASIC PATHOLOGICAL PROCESSES 1
- Introduction 2
- Acute inflammation, hearing and repair 12
- Chronic inflammation 27
- Infections of histological importance 37
- Amyloidosis 54
- Disorders of growth 59
- Dysplasia and neoplasia 65
- Atherosclerosis 86
- Thrombosis and embolism 95
- Infarction 103
- Cardiovascular system 112
- Respiratory system 126
- Gastrointestinal system 140
- Liver and pancreaticobiliary system 164
- Urinary system 177
- Lymphoid and haematopoietic systems 197
- Female reproductive system 216
- Breast 236
- Male reproductive system 246
- Endocrine system 254
- Skin 266
- Bone and soft tissues 281
- Nervous system 298
PART 2 BASIC SYSTEMS PATHOLOGY 111
Appendix 1 -- Notes on commonly used staining methods 316
Appendix 2 -- Glossary of Pathological Terms 318