- Print ISBN 9781455748648
- 15 unique cases help you understand and master the competencies established by CAAHEP (Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs) and ABHES (Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools).
- Five videos for each case (one at check-in, three in the exam room, and one at checkout) — more than two hours of video footage in total — highlight medical assisting competencies.
- Realistic information resources are shown, such as medical records for each case, an office policy manual, a fee schedule, and a daysheet.
- The affective aspect of medical assisting is demonstrated in medical assistant-patient interaction videos, emphasizing the communication and professionalism competencies of patient care.
- Performance summaries allow you to compare your decisions to those of an expert.
- A study guide complements textbook content and:
- Correlates reading assignments with patient cases in the virtual medical office.
- Focuses on one or two competencies in each lesson, for learning that is brief and manageable.
- Promotes active learning by asking you to collect information from a variety of sources to make patient care decisions.
- Encourages critical thinking through discussion and critique of the performance of the medical assistants in the videos.
- Emphasizes HIPAA by asking you to compare the policy manual, each case’s medical record, and what actually happens in the videos.
Lesson 1 The Health Care System and the Professional Medical Assistant (Chapters 1 and 2)
Lesson 2 Ethics and Law for the Medical Office (Chapter 3)
Lesson 3 Interacting with Patients (Chapter 4)
Lesson 4 Medical Asepsis and the OSHA Standard (Chapter 17)
Lesson 5 Regulated Medical Waste (Chapter 17)
Lesson 6 Sterilization and Disinfection (Chapter 18)
Lesson 7 Vital Signs (Chapter 19)
Lesson 8 Preparing for the Physical Examination (Chapter 20)
Lesson 9 The Physical Examination (Chapter 20)
Lesson 10 Measuring Height and Weight (Chapter 20)
Lesson 11 Eye and Ear Assessment (Chapter 21)
Lesson 12 Physical Agents to Promote Tissue Healing (Chapter 22)
Lesson 13 The Gynecologic Examination and Prenatal Care (Chapter 23)
Lesson 14 The Pediatric Examination (Chapter 24)
Lesson 15 Assisting with Minor Office Surgery (Chapter 25)
Lesson 16 Administration of Medication and Intravenous Therapy (Chapter 26)
Lesson 17 Cardiopulmonary Procedures: Electrocardiogram (Chapter 27)
Lesson 18 Cardiopulmonary Procedures: Pulmonary Function Testing (Chapter 27)
Lesson 19 Specialty Examination and Procedures: Fecal Occult Blood Testing (Chapter 28)
Lesson 20 Urinalysis (Chapter 30)
Lesson 21 Clean-Catch Urine (Chapter 30)
Lesson 22 Phlebotomy (Chapters 29 and 31)
Lesson 23 Hematology (Chapters 29 and 32)
Lesson 24 Blood Chemistry and Serology (Chapter 33)
Lesson 25 Medical Microbiology (Chapter 34)
Lesson 26 The Medical Record (Chapter 36)
Lesson 27 Health History (Chapter 36)
Lesson 28 Patient Reception (Chapt
- No. of pages:
- © 2013
- 18th October 2012
- Print ISBN: