- Blend of clinical and basic science information provides the best possible understanding of clinical issues surrounding operative situations.
- Specific procedures are covered in great detail and are brought to life with full-color drawings and photographs.
- Highly recognized contributors provide authoritative coverage that is useful for surgical specialists as well as practicing veterinarians who perform surgery or refer cases for surgery.
- Detailed coverage of small animal surgery provides excellent preparation for the written examination of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, and the European College of Veterinary Surgeons.
- Comprehensive coverage includes surgical biology, surgical methods and perioperative care, neurosurgery, and orthopedics in Volume I; soft tissue surgery is covered in Volume II.
- Coverage of anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology in chapters on specific organs includes information critical to operative procedures and patient management.
- In-depth chapters on anesthesia and pain provide indispensable resources for practicing surgeons.
- Treatment of cancers in small animals is covered in chapters on surgical oncology, tumors of the spine, and musculoskeletal neoplasia.
- Extensive references to published studies show the factual basis for the material.
- The companion website includes all of the images in the book for convenient access, plus references linked to original abstracts on PubMed.
Volume I: Surgical Principles, Neurosurgery, and Orthopedic Surgery
Section I: Surgical Biology
1. Inflammatory Response
2. Molecular and Cellular Biology: Genomics
3. Biomarkers in Clinical Medicine
4. Stem Cells and Regenerative Therapy
5. Fluid Therapy
7. Bleeding and Hemostasis
8. Metabolism and Nutritional Needs of Surgical Patients
9. Wound Healing and Management of Devitalized Tissues
10. Wound Infections and Antimicrobial Use
11. Evidence-Based Medicine and Outcomes Assessment
Section II: Surgical Methods and Perioperative Care
14. Preparation of the Patient, Operating Team, and Operating Room for Surgery
15. Monitoring for Surgical Infection
16. Surgical Modalities
17. Suture Material, Tissue Staplers, Ligation Devices, and Closure Methods
18. Tissue Handling and Technique in the Use of Operative Tools
19. Surgical Hemostasis
20. Bandages and Drains
21. Biopsy Methods and Sample Procurement
22. Pain management and Sedation
23. Anesthesia Principles and Monitoring
24. Basics of Minimally Invasive Surgery
25. Principles of Oncologic Surgery
Section III: Neurosurgery
26. Neurologic Examination
28. Imaging of the Neurologic System
29. Pathogenesis and Pathophysiology of CNS Disease and Injury
30. Infectious and Inflammatory Conditions of the Nervous System
31. Cervical Spine
32. Thoracolumbar Spine
33. Lumbosacral Spine
34. Spinal Fracture and Luxation
35. Surgical Management of the Brain-Injured Pet
36. Intracranial Neoplasia
37. Management of Congenital Brain Malformations
38. Anesthesia for Intracran