2013 BMA Medical Book Awards Highly Commended in Public Health!
Apply the latest vaccination knowledge with a reference that Bill Gates calls "an indispensable guide to the enhancement of the well-being of our world." Inside Vaccines, you’ll find comprehensive and current coverage of every aspect of vaccination, from the development of each vaccine to its use in reducing disease. This medical reference book offers the expert information you need to apply the very latest techniques and information in your practice!
- Gain a complete understanding of each disease, including clinical characteristics, microbiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment, as well as epidemiology and public health and regulatory issues.
- Update your knowledge of both existing vaccines and vaccines currently in the research and development stage.
- Get complete answers on each vaccine, including its stability, immunogenicity, efficacy, duration of immunity, adverse events, indications, contraindications, precautions, administration with other vaccines, and disease-control strategies.
- Analyze the cost-benefit and cost-effectiveness of different vaccine options.
- Clearly visualize concepts and objective data through an abundance of tables and figures.
- Perform seamless searches of the complete text online, access all the references, and download all the images at www.expertconsult.com.
SECTION 1: General aspects of vaccination
1 A short history of vaccination 1
2 Vaccine immunology 14
3 The vaccine industry 33
4 Vaccine manufacturing 44
5 Evolution of adjuvants across the centuries 58
6 Vaccine additives and manufacturing residuals in the United States:
licensed vaccines 71
7 Passive immunization 80
8 General immunization practices 88
SECTION 2: Licensed vaccines
9 Adenovirus vaccines 113
10 Anthrax vaccines 127
11 Cholera vaccines 141
12 Diphtheria toxoid 153
13 Haemophilus influenzae vaccines 167
14 Hepatitis A vaccines 183
15 Hepatitis B vaccines 205
16 Human papillomavirus vaccines 235
17 Inactivated influenza vaccines 257
18 Influenza vaccine—live 294
19 Japanese encephalitis vaccines 312
20 Measles vaccines 352
21 Meningococcal vaccines 388
22 Mumps vaccine 419
23 Pertussis vaccines . 447
24 Plague vaccines 493
25 Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine and pneumococcal common protein vaccines 504
26 Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccines 542
27 Poliovirus vaccine—inactivated . 573
28 Poliovirus vaccine—live 598
29 Rabies vaccines .646
30 Rotavirus vaccines . 669
31 Rubella vaccine 688
32 Smallpox and vaccinia 718
33 Tetanus toxoid 746
34 Tick-borne encephalitis virus vaccines 773
35 Tuberculosis vaccines 789
36 Typhoid fever vaccines 812
37 Varicella vaccine 837
38 Yellow fever vaccine 870
39 Zoster vaccine 969
40 Combination vaccines 981
SECTION 3: Vaccines in development and new vaccine strategies
41 Biodefense and special pathogen vaccines 1008
42 Therapeutic cancer vaccines 1018
43 Cytomegalovirus vaccines 1032
44 Dengue vaccines 1042
45 Diarrhea caused by bact
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2013
- 12th October 2012
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
"Widely regarded as The Bible for vaccinologists… the book remains the work of reference that every person working in the field of vaccines and those with an interest in infectious diseases should have."
The Lancet: Infectious Diseases, June 2008
"For anyone wishing to know everything important about existing vaccines, this book provides an indispensable source of authoritative information."
Immunology News, February 2009
"The new foreword by Bill Gates emphasizes the importance of vaccines and the value of this book. This is the leading reference that covers all aspects of vaccinology. There are no comparable books available. In the rapidly evolving field of vaccinology, this new edition is essential."
- Archana NMI Chatterjee, MD PhD, Creighton University
5 Star - Doody's Rating, March 2013