Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Urban Ecology covers the latest theoretical and applied concepts in urban ecological research. This book covers the key environmental issues of urban ecosystems as well as the human-centric issues, particularly those of governance, economics, sociology and human health. The goal of Urban Ecology is to challenge readers’ thinking around urban ecology from a resource-based approach to a holistic and applied field for sustainable development. There are seven major themes of the book: emerging urban concepts and urbanization, land use/land cover change, urban social-ecological systems, urban environment, urban material balance, smart, healthy and sustainable cities and sustainable urban design. Within each section, key concepts such as monitoring the urbanization phenomena, land use cover, urban soil fluxes, urban metabolism, pollution and human health and sustainable cities are covered. Urban Ecology serves as a comprehensive and advanced book for students, researchers, practitioners and policymakers in urban ecology and urban environmental research, planning and practice.
- Includes global case studies from over 14 countries, providing a first-hand account of recent applications
- Covers the phenomena of sustainable transport, nutrient recovery and human health, among many others
- Examines environmental issues as well as social-ecological systems and governance
Ecologists, Environmental Scientists, Engineers, Social Scientists, Economists
Theme 1: Emerging facets of urban ecology – urban and urbanization, theory and concepts
1. Urban ecology – current state of research and concepts
2. Urban metabolism: old challenges, new frontiers and the research agenda ahead
Theme 2: Urban land use/land cover
3. Urban growth pattern detection and analysis
4. Exposition of spatial urban growth pattern using PSO-SLEUTH and identifying its effects on surface temperature
Theme 3: Social-ecological systems
5. Stressors of disaster-induced displacement and migration in India
6. Ecological economics of an urban settlement: an overview
7. Urban greenspace, social equity and human wellbeing
Theme 4: Urban Environment
8. Urbanization, urban agriculture and food security
9. Carbon reduction strategies for the built environment in a tropical city
10. Trends in active and sustainable mobility: experiences from emerging cycling territories of Dhaka and Innsbruck
11. Air quality and its impact on urban environment
12. Sustainable water management in megacities of the future
13. Comparing invasive alien plant community composition between urban, peri-urban and rural areas; the city of Cape Town as a case study
Theme 5: Urban material balance
14. Types, sources and management of urban wastes
15. Nutrient recovery from the municipal waste stream: status and prospects
16. Determinants of soil carbon dynamics in urban ecosystems
Theme 6: Cities: healthy, smart and sustainable
17. Urban ecology and human health: implications of urban heat island, air pollution and climate change nexus
18. Cities management and sustainable development: monitoring and assessment approach
19. Challenges in assessing urban sustainability
Theme 7: Sustainable urban design
20. Towards sustainable urban redevelopment: urban design informed by morphological patterns and ecologies of informal settlements in cities
21. Assessing the role of urban design in a rapidly urbanizing historical city and its contribution in restoring its urban ecology: the case of Varanasi, India
22. 'Green building' movement in India: study on institutional support and regulatory support
23. Challenges and innovations of transportation and collection of waste
24. Critical assessment and future dimensions for the urban ecological systems
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2020
- 14th July 2020
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Pramit Verma is a Senior Research Fellow at Institute of Environment & Sustainable Development, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi. His research interests are in the socioeconomic dynamics, urban energy flow, urban land use/land cover change, biostatistics and ecological modelling. He is currently working in the field of Urban Ecology. He has also worked in the field of urban climate disaster risk reduction and management. He has published several research articles in international journals.
Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Environment and Sustainable Development, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
Dr. Pardeep Singh is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Environmental Science, PGDAV College, University of Delhi, in New Delhi, India. He obtained his PhD at the Indian Institute of Technology (Banaras Hindu University) Varanasi. Dr. Singh has published more than 65 papers in international journals in the fields of waste management, environmental pollution, and agricultural nanotechnology, and has co-edited 30 books.
Assistant Professor, Department of Environmental Studies, PGDAV College, University of Delhi, New Delhi, India
Dr. Rishikesh Singh has completed his PhD from Institute of Environment & Sustainable Development, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi. His research interests are in soil carbon dynamics, land- use change and management, emerging agronomic practices, biochar and carbon sequestration. His current research assignment is based on environmental impact analysis of traditional and emergent agronomic practices in Indo-Gangetic Plains of India. He has published several research and review articles and is a reviewer of several international journals of Elsevier, Taylor and Francis and Springer Nature groups.
Institute of Environment and Sustainable Development, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
Dr. A. S. Raghubanshi is a Professor of Environmental Science at Institute of Environment & Sustainable Development, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi. His research interests are in integrative ecology such as ecological understanding of the structure, functioning and sustainable management of tropical terrestrial ecosystems, landscape ecology using remote sensing and GIS tools, understanding plant diversity and distributions, ecosystem functioning including nutrient dynamics, greenhouse gas emissions and restoration of degraded ecosystems. He has published several research articles in various reputed international journals.
Professor, Institute of Environment & Sustainable Development, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.