Unsaturated Polyester Resins: Fundamentals, Design, Fabrication, and Applications explains the preparation, techniques and applications relating to the use of unsaturated polyester resin systems for blends, interpenetrating polymer networks (IPNs), gels, composites and nanocomposites, enabling readers to understand and utilize the improved material properties that UPRs facilitate. Chapters cover unsaturated polyester resins and their interaction at the macro, micro and nano levels, in-depth studies on the properties and analysis of UPR based materials, and the applications of UPR based composites, blends, IPNs and gels across a range of advanced commercial and industrial fields.
This is a highly detailed source of information on unsaturated polyester resins, supporting academics, researchers and postgraduate students working with UPRs, polyesters, polymeric or composite materials, polymer chemistry, polymer physics, and materials science, as well as scientists, R&D professionals and engineers in industry.
- Covers the use of unsaturated polyester resin systems for blends, IPNs, gels, composites and nanocomposites
- Presents cutting-edge techniques for the analysis and improvement of properties of advanced UPR-based materials
- Unlocks the potential of unsaturated polyester resins in high-performance materials for a range of advanced applications
Academia: Researchers and postgraduate students involved with polyester resins, properties and property improvement, polyesters, or in the wider fields of polymer science, polymer chemistry, and materials science. Industry: Scientists, professional R&D and industrial companies working with resins or fibre-reinforced composites or involved in the development or engineering of polymer products
1. Unsaturated Polyester Resins, Blends, Interpenetrating Polymer Networks, Composites, and Nanocomposites: State of the Art and New Challenges
2. Unsaturated Polyester Macrocomposites
3. Unsaturated Polyester Microcomposites
4. Unsaturated Polyester Nanocomposites
5. Micromechanics of Short-Fiber and Particulate Composites
6. Blends, Interpenetrating Polymer Networks, and Gels of Unsaturated Polyester Resin Polymers With Other Polymers
7. Role of Nanofillers in Blends, Interpenetrating Polymer Networks, and Gels of Unsaturated Polyester Resin Polymers
8. Unsaturated Polyester Resins: Blends, Interpenetrating Polymer Networks, Composites, and Nanocomposites
9. Aging Behavior and Modeling Studies of Unsaturated Polyester Resin and Unsaturated Polyester Resin-Based Blends
10. Spectroscopic Characterization Protocols for Interpenetrating Polymeric Networks
11. Synthesis and Characterization of High Performance, Transparent Interpenetrating Polymer Networks With Polyurethane and Poly(methyl methacrylate) With Different PUR Network Morphologies. Effect of Molecular Weight of the Diol
12. Nanocellulose-Reinforced Unsaturated Polyester Composites
13. Microscopic Analysis of Unsaturated Polyester Resin-
14. Spectroscopic Analysis of Unsaturated Polyester Resin-Based Composites and Nanocomposites
15. Thermal and Rheological Properties of Unsaturated Polyester Resins-Based Composites
16. Mechanical and Dynamic Mechanical Properties of Unsaturated Polyester Resin-Based Composites
17. Flammability and Thermal Stability of Unsaturated Polyester Resin-Based Blends and Composites
18. Rheological and Curing Properties of Unsaturated Polyester Resin Nanocomposites
19. Vibration Analysis of Hybrid-Reinforced Unsaturated Polyester Composites
20. Bio-based Unsaturated Polyesters
21. Unsaturated Polyesters in Microbial Fuel Cells and Biosensors
22. Synthesis and Applications of Unsaturated Polyester Composites
23. The Degradation and Recycling of Unsaturated Polyester Resin-Based Composites
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2019
- 19th July 2019
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor Thomas is currently Pro-Vice Chancellor of Mahatma Gandhi University and the Founder Director and Professor of the International and Interuniversity Centre for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. He is also a full professor of Polymer Science and Engineering at the School of Chemical Sciences of Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, India. Prof. Thomas is an outstanding leader with sustained international acclaims for his work in Nanoscience, Polymer Science and Engineering, Polymer Nanocomposites, Elastomers, Polymer Blends, Interpenetrating Polymer Networks, Polymer Membranes, Green Composites and Nanocomposites, Nanomedicine and Green Nanotechnology. Dr. Thomas’s ground-breaking inventions in polymer nanocomposites, polymer blends, green bionanotechnological and nano-biomedical sciences, have made transformative differences in the development of new materials for automotive, space, housing and biomedical fields. In collaboration with India’s premier tyre company, Apollo Tyres, Professor Thomas’s group invented new high performance barrier rubber nanocomposite membranes for inner tubes and inner liners for tyres. Professor Thomas has received a number of national and international awards which include: Fellowship of the Royal Society of Chemistry, London FRSC, Distinguished Professorship from Josef Stefan Institute, Slovenia, MRSI medal, Nano Tech Medal, CRSI medal, Distinguished Faculty Award, Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Award for Scientific Excellence – 2016, Mahatma Gandhi University- Award for Outstanding Contribution –Nov. 2016, Lifetime Achievement Award of the Malaysian Polymer Group, Indian Nano Biologists award 2017and Sukumar Maithy Award for the best polymer researcher in the country. He is in the list of most productive researchers in India and holds a position of No.5. Recently, because of the outstanding contributions to the field of Nanoscience and Polymer Science and Engineering, Prof. Thomas has been conferred Honoris Causa (DSc) Doctorate by the University of South Brittany, Lorient, France and University of Lorraine, Nancy, France. Very recently, Prof. Thomas has been awarded Senior Fulbright Fellowship to visit 20 Universities in the US and most productive faculty award in the domain Materials Sciences. Professor Thomas has published over 800 peer reviewed research papers, reviews and book chapters. He has co-edited 80 books published by different publishers. He is the inventor of 6 patents and has delivered over 300 Plenary/Inaugural and Invited lectures in national/international meetings over 30 countries. He has established a state of the art laboratory at Mahatma Gandhi University in the area of Polymer Science and Engineering and Nanoscience and Nanotechnology through external funding from DST, CSIR, TWAS, UGC, DBT, DRDO, AICTE, ISRO, DIT, TWAS, KSCSTE, BRNS, UGC-DAE, Du Pont, USA, General Cables, USA, Surface Treat Czech Republic, MRF Tyres and Apollo Tyres.
Pro-Vice Chancellor, Mahatma Gandhi University and Founding Director and Professor, International and Interuniversity Centre for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, India
Dr. Mahesh Hosur is Interim Head and Professor at the Materials Science and Engineering Department, Tuskegee University, USA. He served as Honb. Director of NSF-EPSCoR (National Science Foundation – Established Program to Stimulate Competitive Research), working on projects such as Enhancing Alabama’s Research Capability in Nano/Bio Science and Sensors (2011-2015), the Alabama Center for Nanostructured Materials (2005-2010), and the Center of Excellence in Nanobiomaterials, derived from Biorenewable and Waste Resources (2011-2016). Prof. Hosur’s research group covers specialized areas of polymers, including processing, process sensing, low-cost manufacturing using RTM, VARIM processes, static and dynamic characterization, fatigue and fracture, structural analysis, evaluation, and the processing and characterization of biopolymer and polymer nanocomposites.
Professor, Materials Science and Engineering Department, Tuskegee University, USA
Dr. Cintil Jose Chirayil is Assistant Professor at the Department of Chemistry, Newman College, Kerala, India. Dr. Chirayil received her Ph.D. in Polymer Science from Mahatma Gandhi University, India, and completed a post-doctoral fellowship at the Centre for Advanced Materials, Qatar University, Doha. Dr. Chirayil is actively involved in cutting-edge research in polymeric materials, including enzymatic and chemical modification and characterization, surface groups, cellulose membranes, polysaccharides, and unsaturated polyester.
Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, Newman College, Kerala, India