Learn the essential concepts of pathophysiology and stay up to date on treatments, manifestations, and mechanisms of disease with Understanding Pathophysiology, 5th Edition. Filled with vibrant illustrations and complemented by online resources that bring pathophysiology concepts to life, this easy-to-read text delivers the latest, most accurate information on the disease process across the lifespan, giving you the fundamental knowledge you need to move forward in your nursing education.
- Consistent presentation helps you better distinguish pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and evaluation and treatment for each disease.
- More than 1,000 high-quality illustrations vividly depict clinical manifestations and cellular mechanisms underlying diseases.
- Lifespan coverage details age-specific conditions affecting pediatric, adult, and aging patients in great depth.
- Algorithms throughout the text clarify disease progression.
- Risk Factor boxes alert you to important safety considerations associated with specific diseases.
- Health Alert boxes highlight new developments in biologic research, diagnostic studies, preventive care, treatments, and more.
- Quick Check boxes test your retention of important chapter concepts.
- Did You Understand? sections provide fast, efficient review of chapter content.
- Chapter outlines help you find specific information with ease.
- Chapter introductions explain why chapter content is important and how it fits into a broader health care context.
- Key terms are bolded throughout the text for fast, easy reference.
- Glossary of selected terms familiarizes you with the most difficult or important terminology.
- Companion Evolve website provides convenient online access to animations, review questions, key terms matching exercises, and more.
Introduction to Pathophysiology
PART ONE: BASIC CONCEPTS OF PATHOPHYSIOLOGY
Unit 1: The Cell
1. Cellular Biology
2. Genes and Genetic Diseases
3. Altered Cellular and Tissue Biology
4. Fluids and Electrolytes, Acids and Bases
Unit 2: Mechanisms of Self-Defense
5. Innate and Adaptive Immunity
6. Hypersensitivities and Immune Deficiencies
8. Stress and Disease
Unit 3: Cellular Proliferation: Cancer
9. Biology, Clinical Manifestations, and Treatment of Cancer
10. Cancer Epidemiology
11. Cancer in Children
PART TWO: BODY SYSTEMS AND DISEASES
Unit 4: The Neurologic System
12. Structure and Function of the Neurologic System
13. Pain, Temperature, Sleep, and Sensory Function
14. Alterations in Cognitive Systems, Cerebral Hemodynamics and Motor Function
15. Disorders of the Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems and the Neuromuscular Junction
16. Alterations of Neurologic Function in Children
Unit 5: The Endocrine System
17. Mechanisms of Hormonal Regulation
18. Alterations of Hormonal Regulation
Unit 6: The Hematologic System
19. Structure and Function of the Hematologic System
20. Alterations of Hematologic Function
21. Alterations of Hematologic Function in Children
Unit 7: The Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
22. Structure and Function of the Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
23. Alterations of Cardiovascular Function
24. Alterations of Cardiovascular Function in Childr
- © Mosby 2013
- 8th November 2011
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Sue E. Huether, RN, PhD
Professor Emeritus, College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT