This book examines disability, in an accessible and interactive style, as it relates to healthcare policy and practice. It is aimed at physiotherapists and occupational therapists, both sutdents and practitioners, but will also be useful to all healthcare workers, including nurses, doctors and speech and language therapists.
- Based on the social rather than the medical model of disability
- Views disability in terms of environmental, structural and attitudinal barriers which deny disabled people full participation in society
- Engages health professionals in critical reflection on the provision of services to disabled people
- Case studies and activities throughout facilitate understanding of issues presented
Foreword by Frances Reynolds
1. What is critical reflection?
2. What is disability?
3. How did we get here?
4. Servicing the body
5. Disabled people's experiences of health care
6. The experiences of disabled health and caring professionals
7. Controlling services
8. What is empowerment?
9. What is partnership?
10. How do services meet diverse needs?
11. How do professionals find out?
12. Reflecting back to reflect forward
- No. of pages:
- © Churchill Livingstone 2008
- 27th December 2007
- Churchill Livingstone
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Senior Lecturer, School of Management and Social Sciences, King Alfred's College of Higher Education, Winchester, UK
Principal Lecturer (Research) and Reader in Disability Studies, Faculty of Health, Social Work and Education, University of Northumbria, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK Professor of Disability and Inclusion, Research and Enterprise Health, Community & Education Studies Northumbria University, UK
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.