- Reviews the current understanding of significant aspects of food structure and methods for its control
- Focuses on the fundamental structural elements present in foods such as proteins and fats and the forces that hold them together
- Discusses novel analytical techniques that provide information on the morphology and behaviour of food materials
Table of Contents
- Part 1 Microstructural elements and their interactions: Polysaccharides: Their role in food microstructure; Proteins in food microstructure formation; Structure and function of fat crystals and their role in microstructure formation in complex foods; Effects of water distribution and transport on food microstructure; Structure and function of emulsifiers and their role in microstructure formation in complex foods; Colloidal systems in foods containing droplets and bubbles; Ingredient interactions in complex foods: Aggregation and phase separation. Part 2 Novel methods to study food microstructure: Atomic force microscopy (AFM) techniques for characterizing food structure; Confocal fluorescence microscopy (CLSM) for food structure characterization; Advances in image analysis for the study of food microstructure; Food characterisation using scattering methods; Acoustic techniques to characterize food microstructure; Modelling and computer simulation of food structures. Part 3 Microstructural-based approaches to design of functionality in foods: Creation of novel microstructures through processing: Structure formation in (semi-) solid food materials; Influence of food microstructure on food rheology; Influence of food microstructure on flavour interactions; Relating food microstructure to sensory quality; Physicochemical and structural aspects of lipid digestion; Nanoscale liquid self-assembled dispersions in foods and the delivery of functional ingredients. Part 4 Microstructural approaches to improving food product quality: Structure-engineering of ice-cream and foam-based foods; The texture and microstructure of spreads; Microstructural approaches to the study and improvement of cheese and yogurt products; Microstructural aspects of protein-based drinks; The microstructure of chocolate; Bubble formation and stabilisation in bread dough; Food microstructure and shelf-life of emulsion and gel-based products.
- No. of pages: 792
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Woodhead Publishing 2007
- Published: August 30, 2007
- Imprint: Woodhead Publishing
- eBook ISBN: 9781845693671
About the Editor
D. Julian McClements
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Understanding and Controlling the Microstructure of Complex Foods"