Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Underground Sensing: Monitoring and Hazard Detection for Environment and Infrastructure brings the target audience the technical and practical knowledge of existing technologies of subsurface sensing and monitoring based on a classification of their functionality. In addition, the book introduces emerging technologies and applications of sensing for environmental and geo-hazards in subsurface – focusing on sensing platforms that can enable fully distributed global measurements. Finally, users will find a comprehensive exploration of the future of underground sensing that can meet demands for preemptive and sustainable response to underground hazards.
New concepts and paradigms based on passively powered and/or on-demand activated, embeddable sensor platforms are presented to bridge the gap between real-time monitoring and global measurements.
- Presents a one-stop-shop reference for underground sensing and monitoring needs that saves valuable research time
- Provides application cases for all technologies that are covered and described in detail
- Includes full, four color images of equipment and applications
- Designed to cover a wide variety of underground sensors, from agriculture to geohazards
Civil, Environmental and Engineering Geologists, scientists working in the Geohazards, Geotechnical, Oil & Gas and Agriculture industries; graduate-level students in related areas
1. Overview of applied underground sensing and monitoring technologies
2. Acoustic, optical and electromagnetic sensing and monitoring
3. Geotechnical underground sensing and monitoring
4. Environmental underground sensing and monitoring
5. Wireless underground sensor networks
6. Fiber-optic underground sensor networks
7. Advances and challenges in underground sensing
8. Underground Sensing Strategies for the health assessment of buried pipelines
9. Outlook: advanced hybrid sensing for pre-emptive response
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2017
- 22nd October 2017
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Dr. Pamukcu conducts research on soil and groundwater decontamination using electrochemical technologies, and on application of fiber-optic and wireless sensors for distributed measurements in geo-media and civil infrastructure. An expert on electro-remediation of soils and groundwater for more than a decade, Dr. Pamukcu co-owns patents in US and abroad; and currently focuses on the application of direct current electric field for in-situ destruction of contaminants through enhanced redox in clay-rich soils. Her other major work involves application of distributed fiber-optic and wireless sensor networks for detection of soil water and contaminants, and infrastructure health monitoring in subsurface
Lehigh University, USA
Dr. Cheng has been the Principal Investigator (PI) and a Co-PI of more than ten grants supported by national and state agencies, as well as industry and foundation, in research areas of distributed sensing and computing and system instrumentation and analytics, with major applications in infrastructure and environment monitoring and the Internet of Things. Dr. Cheng has authored/co-authored more than 90 peer-reviewed papers, including a best paper, a best paper award nomination, and papers in premium conference/journals. He has been invited to serve on proposal panels for programs of NSF, DOE, NIH (National Institute of Health), GENI (Global Environment for Network Innovations), and as an expert reviewer for ACS (American Chemical Society), NRI (Nebraska Research Initiative), and research foundations in Europe.
Professor, Indiana University School of Medicine, Department of Pathology, Indiana.
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.