This book provides all the vital information you need to know about tuberculosis, especially in the face of drug-resistant strains of the disease. Coverage includes which patient populations face an elevated risk of infection, as well as which therapies are appropriate and how to correctly monitor ongoing treatment so that patients are cured. Properly administer screening tests, interpret their results, and identify manifestations of the disease, with authoritative guidance from expert clinicians from around the world.
- Discusses screening tests for tuberculosis so you can interpret their results and identify not only common manifestations of the disease, but also those that are comparatively rare—such as tuberculosis in pregnant women.
- Covers all clinical aspects of tuberculosis in children, including current practices on managing those infected with HIV.
- Provides details on how best to interact with the public health system in both industrialized and developing countries.
- Addresses the social aspects of tuberculosis and presents the latest advances on new and potential vaccines against tuberculosis.
- Offers the expertise of internationally recognized tuberculosis clinicians to provide you with well-rounded, global coverage.
- Features numerous illustrations to provide clear and detailed depictions of rare manifestations of tuberculosis.
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2009
- 24th March 2009
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Professor of Paediatrics and Child Health, Desmond Tutu Tuberculosis Centre and Department of Pediatrics and Child Health, Stellenbosch University and Tygerberg Children’s Hospital, Western Cape, South Africa. Professor of Paediatrics and Child Health
Professor of Infectious Disease and International Health, University College London, Royal Free and University College, London Medical School; Director, Centre for Infectious Diseases and International Health, Windeyer Institute of Medical Sciences, University College London, London, UK; Honorary Consultant in Infectious Diseases, University College London Hospitals NHS Trust, London, UK; Honorary consultant physician, St. Luke’s Hospital for the Clergy, London; Honorary Professor, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, University of Liverpool, UK; Honorary Professor, Centre for International Child Health, Institute of Child Health, London, UK; Visiting Professor, University of Zambia School of Medicine, Lusaka, Zambia; Honorary Professor, University of Cape Town, Department of Medicine, Cape Town, South Africa, Member of Court of Governors, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK; Formerly, Associate Professor, Center for Infectious Diseases, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, School of Medicine and Public Health, Houston, TX, USA; Vice President and Council Member, Royal Society of Tropical Medicine, London, UK (2003-2006)
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.