Transport Properties of Polymeric Membranes is an edited collection of papers that covers, in depth, many of the recent technical research accomplishments in transport characteristics through polymers and their applications. Using the transport through polymer membranes method leads to high separation efficiency, low running costs, and simple operating procedures compared to conventional separation methods. This book provides grounding in fundamentals and applications to give you all the information you need on using this method. This book discusses the different types of polymer, their blends, composites, nanocomposites and their applications in the field of liquid, gas and vapor transport.
Some topics of note include modern trends and applications of polymer nanocomposites in solvent, vapor and gas transport; fundamentals and measurement techniques for gas and vapor transport in polymers; and transport properties of hydrogels. This handpicked selection of topics, and the combined expertise of contributors from global industry, academia, government and private research organizations, make this book an outstanding reference for anyone involved in the field of polymer membranes.
- Presents current trends in the field of transport of liquid, gas and vapor through various polymeric systems
- Features case studies focused on industrial applications of membrane technology, along with fundamentals of transport and materials
- Helps readers quickly look up a particular technique to learn key points, capabilities and drawbacks
Material Scientists, Chemical Engineers, Process Engineers, Students
Part 1: Liquid Transport Through Polymers
1. Introduction to liquid transport characteristics in various polymer, IPNs, Composites and nanocomposites systems
2. Modern trends and applications of solvent transport through various polymer and their nanocomposites
3. General trends in the fabrication methods of polymer mebranes for barrier performances
4. Fundamentals and measurement techniques for solvent transport in polymers.
5. Liquid transport through Elastomers
6. Liquid transport through Thermoplastics
7. Liquid transport Through Thermosets
8. Liquid transport through Polymer blends
9. Liquid transport through IPNs
10. Liquid transport through polymer composites
11. Liquid transport through polymer nanocomposites
12. Liquid-Liquid Separation through Polymeric
13. Separation via pervaporation techniques through polymer membranes.
14. Membrane filtration techniques through polymer nanocomposites
15. Liquid transport phenomena though membranes in bioprocessing.
16. Membrane distillation, pressure retarded osmosis and forward osmosis through polymer membranes
Part 2: Gas Transport Through Polymers
17. Introduction to gas transport characteristics in various polymers.
18. Modern trends and applications of gas transport through various polymers
19. Fundamentals and measurement techniques for gas transport in polymers.
20. Theoretical aspects of gas transport in polymers
21. Gas transport and barrier application in Elastomers
22. Gas transport through thermoplastics
23. Gas transport through thermosets
24. Gas transport through polymer blends
25. Gas transport through IPNs
26. Activation entropy for diffusion of gases through Mixed Matrix Membranes
27. Gas transport through polymer /clay nanocomposites
28. Gas transport through polymer bionanocomposites
29. Gas transport through polymer composites
30. Application of gas transport properties in packaging applications
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2018
- 13th November 2017
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Prof. Sabu Thomas is the Director of International and Interuniversity Centre for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology at Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, India. Prof. Thomas has (co-)authored 700 papers in international peer-reviewed journals in the area of polymer science and nanomaterials. He has organized several international conferences and workshops. His research group focuses on specialized areas of polymers and has extensive collaborative exchange programs with various industries and institutions throughout the world. He is in the list of most productive researchers in India. He has 5 patents to his credit, and edited 73 books. The H- index of Prof. Thomas is 79. He has been awarded MRSI, CRSI and Nanotech medals. Prof. Thomas has been conferred Honoris Causa DSc from University of South Brittany, France and University of Lorraine, France.
Professor of Polymer Science and Technology and Director of the International and Inter-University Centre for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, School of Chemical Sciences, Mahatma Ghandi University, India
School of Chemical Sciences, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala, India
Mahatma Gandhi University
Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry NSS Hindu College, Changnacherry, Kerala, India
NSS Hindu College
Professor of Chemistry,Dept. of Basic Sciences, Amal Jyothi College of Engineering, Kottayam, India
Amal Jyothi College of Engineering