Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Transport Properties of Polymeric Membranes is an edited collection of papers that covers, in depth, many of the recent technical research accomplishments in transport characteristics through polymers and their applications. Using the transport through polymer membranes method leads to high separation efficiency, low running costs, and simple operating procedures compared to conventional separation methods. This book provides grounding in fundamentals and applications to give you all the information you need on using this method. This book discusses the different types of polymer, their blends, composites, nanocomposites and their applications in the field of liquid, gas and vapor transport.
Some topics of note include modern trends and applications of polymer nanocomposites in solvent, vapor and gas transport; fundamentals and measurement techniques for gas and vapor transport in polymers; and transport properties of hydrogels. This handpicked selection of topics, and the combined expertise of contributors from global industry, academia, government and private research organizations, make this book an outstanding reference for anyone involved in the field of polymer membranes.
- Presents current trends in the field of transport of liquid, gas and vapor through various polymeric systems
- Features case studies focused on industrial applications of membrane technology, along with fundamentals of transport and materials
- Helps readers quickly look up a particular technique to learn key points, capabilities and drawbacks
Material Scientists, Chemical Engineers, Process Engineers, Students
Part 1: Liquid Transport Through Polymers
1. Introduction to liquid transport characteristics in various polymer, IPNs, Composites and nanocomposites systems 2. Modern trends and applications of solvent transport through various polymer and their nanocomposites
3. General trends in the fabrication methods of polymer mebranes for barrier performances
4. Fundamentals and measurement techniques for solvent transport in polymers.
5. Liquid transport through Elastomers
6. Liquid transport through Thermoplastics
7. Liquid transport Through Thermosets
8. Liquid transport through Polymer blends
9. Liquid transport through IPNs
10. Liquid transport through polymer composites
11. Liquid transport through polymer nanocomposites
12. Liquid-Liquid Separation through Polymeric
13. Separation via pervaporation techniques through polymer membranes
14. Membrane filtration techniques through polymer nanocomposites
15. Liquid transport phenomena though membranes in bioprocessing
16. Membrane distillation, pressure retarded osmosis and forward osmosis through polymer membranes
Part 2: Gas Transport Through Polymers
17. Introduction to gas transport characteristics in various polymers
18. Modern trends and applications of gas transport through various polymers
19. Fundamentals and measurement techniques for gas transport in polymers
20. Theoretical aspects of gas transport in polymers
21. Gas transport and barrier application in Elastomers
22. Gas transport through thermoplastics
23. Gas transport through thermosets
24. Gas transport through polymer blends
25. Gas transport through IPNs
26. Activation entropy for diffusion of gases through Mixed Matrix Membranes
27. Gas transport through polymer /clay nanocomposites
28. Gas transport through polymer bionanocomposites
29. Gas transport through polymer composites
30. Application of gas transport properties in packaging applications
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2018
- 13th November 2017
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Sabu Thomas is a Professor of Polymer Science & Engineering, in the School of Chemical Sciences in Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala, India. His areas of research are in polymer blends, fiber filled polymer composites, nanomaterials and polymer nanocomposites, ageing and degradation, pervaporation phenomena, sorption and diffusion, interpenetrating polymer systems, recyclability and reuse of waste plastics and rubbers, elastomer crosslinking, dual porous nanocomposite scaffolds for tissue engineering, polymer nanocomposites for electronic applications, water purification, and energy storage
Professor of Polymer Science and Engineering, School of Chemical Sciences, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala, India
Dr. Wilson Runcy is an assistant professor in the Department of Chemistry, St. Cyril’s College, Kerala, India. He obtained his PhD in chemistry from Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, India. He has written several publications in international journals and conference proceedings. He has also co-edited a book titled “Transport Properties of Polymeric Membranes.” He has also conducted research work at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium. Dr. Runcy has also almost two years of industrial experience as a junior scientist at the Corporate R&D Centre, HLL Lifecare Limited, a Government of India Enterprise, in the area of synthesis of green polymers. His current research interests include polymer nanocomposites for membrane applications, synthesis of biodegradable polymers for medical applications, and development of high quality EMI shielding material.
Department of Chemistry, St. Cyrils College, Adoor, Kerala, India
Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry NSS Hindu College, Changnacherry, Kerala, India
NSS Hindu College
Dr. Soney C George is the Dean Research and Director, Amal Jyothi Centre for Nanoscience and Technology, Kerala, India. He is the Fellow of Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC), London and a recipient of the best researcher of the year award 2018 of APJ Abdul Kalam Technological University. He also received awards like best faculty award by Indian Society for Technical Education, best citation award from International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, fast track award of young scientist by DST, India and Indian Young Scientist award instituted by Indian Science Congress association. He has done post doctoral studies from the University of Blaise Pascal, France and Inha University, South Korea. He has 165 publications in journal and conferences.
Dean Research and Director, Amal Jyothi Centre for Nanoscience and Technology, Kerala, India
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.