Transforming Climate Finance and Green Investment with Blockchains establishes and analyzes the connection between this revolutionary technology and global efforts to combat climate change. The benefits of blockchain come through various profound alterations, such as the adoption of smart contracts that are set to redefine governance and regulatory structures and transaction systems in coming decades. Each chapter contains a problem statement that describes the challenges blockchain technology can address. The book brings together original visions and insights from global members of the Blockchain Climate Institute, comprising thought leaders, financial professionals, international development practitioners, technology entrepreneurs, and more.
This book will help readers understand blockchain technology and how it can facilitate the implementation of the Paris Agreement and accelerate the global transition to a green economy.
- Provides an authoritative examination of this emerging digital technology and its implications on global climate change governance
- Includes detailed proposals and thorough discussions of implementation issues that are specific to green economy sectors
- Relates innovative proposals to existing applications to demonstrate the value add of blockchain technology
- Covers blockchain for the smarter energy sector, for fraud-free emissions management, to streamline climate investments, and legal frameworks for blockchain-based climate finance
Policy-makers; professionals working on climate change, energy, finance, and international development issues; fintech investors and practitioners; scholars and upper-division undergraduates and graduate students in these areas
Section 1: Scene-setting – What’s going on?
1. A conversation with Dr. Kelce Wilson – An insider of Blockchain
2. A conversation with insiders of Blockchain X climate change
3. Blockchain 101: How does this revolutionary technology work?
4. Decoding the current 'wild west' in global climate finance
Alastair Marke and Bianca Sylvester
Section 2: Blockchain for Smarter Renewable Energy Deployment
5. How Blockchain can democratize global energy supply
6. How Blockchains will industrialize a renewable grid
Paul R. Brody
7. Efficient Power Markets: Reimagining the Global Market with Ethereum
8. Flexibility trading platform: Using blockchain to create the most efficient demand-side response trading market
9. NRGcoin—A blockchain-based support policy for renewables
Section 3: Blockchain for Smoother International Climate Finance Transfers
10. Blockchain – Powering and Empowering the Poor
11. Disintermediating the Green Climate Fund
12. Crowd Collaboration for Climate Adaptation (COCOA)
Cristián E. Retamal Gonzalez, Iván S. Razo-Zapata and Gustavo Arciniegas López
13. Using smart algorithms, machine learning and Blockchain technology to streamline and accelerate dealflow in climate finance
Neil Salisbury and Jenya Khvatsky
14. Addressing Water Sustainability with Blockchain Technology and Green Finance
Section 4: Blockchain for Fraud-Free Emissions Management
15. Central banks and Blockchains: The case for managing climate risk with a positive carbon price
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2018
- 1st July 2018
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
Alastair Marke is currently a senior climate finance consultant with a listed company in London. He is a seasoned sustainability policy researcher with publications covering a wide range of policy issues, including food and energy security, climate finance, low-carbon investment planning, emissions trading, and associated green growth issues in Europe, Africa, China, Southeast Asia and Australasia. Seeing the dire need to accelerate global efforts to fill the current climate finance gap, on top of his consultancy work, Alastair has recently created the International Core Group on Blockchain Climate Finance, composed of over 40 experts from 20 countries, to study the potential of Blockchain technology to upscale sustainable, environmental and climate finance for developing countries, encompassing energy finance, carbon trading, and new cryptocurrency-based multi-level climate finance transfer mechanisms.
Fellow, Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (FRSA)
"The beauty of Transforming Climate Finance & Green Investment with Blockchains is that it brings together top experts from different backgrounds and presents a cohesive, considered and powerful exploration of blockchain’s potential in tackling our planet’s most pressing challenge. It is a must read for those of us involved in financing and putting resources into green investments, because it’s clear that this technology has the potential to positively change the way we work, govern and collaborate in this space." --Andrew Shaw, FMO – The Dutch Development Bank
"Blockchain has become a catchword for disruptive innovation in a broad range of issue areas, including climate finance and investment. Frequently invoked and regularly misunderstood, however, this technology and its potential applications to climate change have so far lacked the authoritative scholarly analysis they deserve. By connecting some of the world’s foremost experts on blockchain and the complex environmental challenges it could address, this new book fills an important gap." --Michael Mehling, MIT Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research
"Blockchain technology has significant potential to increase confidence in asset ownership, improve transparency and enhance efficiency and effectiveness in support of the World Bank Group's goal to eradicate extreme poverty. We see interesting applications to accelerate decarbonization and broaden and deepen carbon markets through innovative solutions enabled by blockchain technology. This book is a valuable contribution to a debate which is starting to engage institutions, policy makers and practitioners." --James Close, Director, Climate Change Group, World Bank
"Transforming Climate Finance and Green Investment with Blockchains engages numerous experts on the core issues for the application of distributed ledgers and digital innovations to solve global challen