Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Part I: Food and Design: Theoretical Background
1. Defining Food Design: Inside and outside Academia
2. Using Food Design in academic project-based learning experiences
3. The potential in the use of design in creating innovation brokerage in the food chain
4. Use of design in different disciplines and how this methodology could change the jobs of the future
5. Introduction to the book structure
Part II: Cases studies on Food Design in production and distribution
6. Case study: the role of food design in agriculture and agronomy
7. Case study: the role of food design in business development, marketing and sales
8. Case study: Genetically engineered food materials
9. Case study: The role of food design in distribution
10. Case study: Future outlook on innovative designing and sustainable food systems
Part III: Case studies on Food Design for Food and Restaurant businesses
11. Case study: Food design for precision cooking and precision eating
12. Case study: Industrial innovation and food design
13. Case study: Design and social foodscapes.
14. Case study: Sensorial sustainability in consumption experiences
Part IV: Case studies on Food Design for territory –identity
15. Case study: Systemic Food Design
16. Case study: food design for urban, peri-urban and rural cultures
17. Case study: designing food systems for smart and sustainable cities
18. The role of design in case studies competitions and in University start-up contests
Part V: Cases studies on social food design
19. Case study: the role of food design - related events for social actions
20. Case study: Food design for Sustainability and social justice
21. Case study: Food design from emergencies to long term solutions
22. Case study: Food for all, solutions for all
Part VI: Case studies on food design for post-consumption
23. Case study: Designing the taste of food waste
24. Case study: Food Design for education
25. Case study: Critical Food design
26. Case study: Food Design for science
Transdisciplinary Case Studies on Design for Food and Sustainability, a volume in the Consumer Science and Strategic Marketing series, analyzes the interconnectivity of sustainability, food and design, demonstrating the presence of food design in various food-related fields of study. Sections cover food theory, with case studies that highlight different forms and applications of food design, including the use of food design in production and distribution, in food and restaurant businesses, in territory-identity, social food design, and with regard to post-consumption. Through these case studies, readers will better understand successful food design projects and methods.
- Includes practical examples to illustrate food system challenges, to explain phenomena, and to build theory
- Considers impacts, used assessments, and scalability assets when presenting projects and case studies
- Addresses practical problems in food design
Academics and practitioners working on food design. Also relevant in courses on design and food studies
- No. of pages:
- © Woodhead Publishing 2021
- 1st April 2021
- Woodhead Publishing
- Paperback ISBN:
Dr. Sonia Massari has a PhD in Food Systems and Interaction Design and is the Academic Director of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign-Food Studies in Rome and is the Director of Gustolab International Institute for Food Systems and Sustainability. Since 2011, she has collaborated with Roma Tre University, and since 2017, she has been adjunct professor at the university. She also teaches courses at Scuola Politecnica Design in Milan and at ISIA Design School. She has been a scientific consultant and senior researcher for the BCFN Foundation since 2012. In addition she is researcher, designer and trainer for various research centers, public and private companies and foundations. In 2014, she won the NAFSA TLS Knowledge Community’s Innovative Research in International Education Award, and in 2012, she won the International “Le Tecnovisionaries” Women Innovation Award, a prize which publicly recognizes women who have demonstrated an ability to combine creativity and innovation in order to improve quality of life. She is member of the board of the Association for the Study of Food and Society, and is part of the editorial board for the International Journal of Food Design, Frontiers (Sustainability Issues) and Temes de Disseny Journal.
Director, Gustolab International Institute for Food Systems and Sustainability.
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.