Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Prologue 1: food | FUTURE | design
Prologue 2: Sustainable Food Design should be the norm and the place we all start
Prologue 3: Design is challanging the fields of knowledge
1. The challenge of transdisciplinarity: design methods for agri-food innovation and sustainability
Part 1 - Case Studies: Design Methods for Food Supply Chains
2. The Creation of a Local Food Distributor Evaluated Through a Design Thinking Lens
3. Convivial Food Systems Design Experimentation in Regional Communities: Exploration of the Shepparton Food System, Regional Victoria, Australia
4. A website to understand and promote the circular economy for food: Systemic Food Design.it
5. Transitioning from Food Systems towards Food Ecosystems
Part 2 - Case Studies: Design Methods for New Food Experiences
6. Design and Food Robots: changing processes in the Restaurant Industry
7. Designing Food Experiences: A Multi-Sensory Approach
8. Enriching the food experience: a design journey through innovative technologies for creating, experimenting, consuming, socializing and playing with food
9. Organic Wine as an Instagram Star Using Design Thinking Approach
10. Designing the taste of food waste
Part 3 - Case Studies: Design methods for food and sustainability education
11. School dining hall consumption: ‘Come dine with me’
12. Fostering Youth Agency in Food Sustainability. Education, Empathy and Design Thinking for collaborative workshops (Youth Manifesto, Youth Partnership for the SDGs and FSI Edu)
13. Design Bites – The Practice of Design in Culinary Arts – the case study of the MSc in Innovation in Science and Culinary Art
14.Not Rocket Science but Grandmother Wisdom: Real Food Alternatives to Oral Nutrition Supplements
15. Food Design: Innovation in Canadian Graphic Design Education
Part 4 - Case Studies: Design methods for co-participation and food community engagement
16. PoliparaRocinha urban regeneration process: the role of "food design" for the sustainability of the Rocinha Favela in Rio de Janeiro
17. Bees and honey as tools to improve public engagement in science
18. (Re)thinking science-society dialogue: the case of food and agriculture system
Transdisciplinary Case Studies on Design for Food and Sustainability, a volume in the Consumer Science and Strategic Marketing series, analyzes the interconnectivity of sustainability, food, and design, demonstrating the presence of food design in various food-related fields of study. Broken into six parts, the book begins with the theory behind food and design. The following five sections include several case studies highlighting the different forms and applications of food design, including the use of food design in production and distribution, in food and restaurant businesses, in territory-identity, in social food design, and with regard to post-consumption.
Using a case study approach to meet the needs of both academics and practitioners, Transdisciplinary Case Studies on Design for Food and Sustainability includes practical examples to illustrate food system challenges, to explain phenomena, and to build theory.
- Includes practical examples to illustrate food system challenges, to explain phenomena, and to build theory
- Considers impacts, use assessments, and scalability assets when presenting projects and case studies
- Addresses practical problems in food design
Academics and practitioners working on food design; students studying design and food studies
- No. of pages:
- © Woodhead Publishing 2021
- 25th April 2021
- Woodhead Publishing
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Dr. Sonia Massari has 20 years of experience as researcher, lecturer, consultant, and designer in the fields of sustainability education, food design, and innovative agri-food systems. She holds a Ph.D. in Food Experience Design from the Engineering Department at the University of Florence, Italy. For 12 years, she was the Academic Director of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Food Studies programs in Rome, and she designed and coordinated more than 50 academic programs and 150 educational activities on food and sustainability for prestigious international institutes. She teaches at several Universities around Italy, and is a senior researcher at the Barilla Foundation. She received the International Women Innovation Award “Tecno-visionaria” (2012), the NAFSA TLS Knowledge Community’s Innovative Research in International Education Award (2014), and the Food Studies ASFS Pedagogy Award (2020). She is a board member of the Association for the Study of Food and Society and serves on the editorial board of the International Journal of Food Design.
Roma Tre University, Rome, Italy
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.