- Provides research-based information on culturally competent care of vital importance to all health and social workers in multi-cultural communities
- Covers issues and user groups not covered by other publications
- Couches UK issues within a European and global perspective
Table of Contents
- Contributors. Foreword By Larry Purnell. Foreword by Cecil Helman. Acknowledgements. Part 1: Transcultural Healthcare and the Development of Culture Generic Competencies. Chapter 1 - Introduction (Irena Papadopoulos). Chapter 2 - The Papadopoulos, Tilki and Taylor Model of Developing Cultural Competence (Irena Papadopoulos). Chapter 3 - Human Rights and Health Inequalities: UK and EU Policies and Initiatives Relating to the Promotion of Culturally Competent Care (Mary Tilki). Chapter 4 - Migrants and Refugees (Gina Taylor). Chapter 5 - The Ethics of Culturally Competent Health and Social Care (Ann Gallagher). Chapter 6 - Promoting Culturally Competent Research (Irena Papadopoulos). Part 2: Developing Culture Specific Competencies. Chapter 7 - Cancer and Culture: Meanings and Experiences (Irena Papadopoulos and Shelley Lees). Chapter 8 - The Health and Social Care Needs of Ethiopian Asylum Seekers and Refugees Living in the UK (Irena Papadopoulos, Margaret Lay, Shelley Lees and Alem Gebrehiwot). Chapter 9 - Myfanwy M. Davies and Irena Papadopoulos. Chapter 10 - Illegal Drugs: Knowledge, Attitudes and Drug Habits of Greek and Greek Cypriot Youth Living in London (Irena Papadopoulos and Chris Papadopoulos). Chapter 11 - Culturally Competent Health Promotion for Minority Ethnic Groups, Refugees, Gypsy Travellers and New Age Travellers in the UK (Irena Papadopoulos and Margaret Lay). Part 3: European Perspectives on Cultural Competence. Chapter 12 - Cultural Healthcare Issues in Finland (Marja Kaunonen and Meeri Koivula). Chapter 13 - Dealing with Cultural Plurality in Health and Social Care Settings: the Case of Germany (Monika Habermann). Chapter 14 - Cultural Healthcare Issues in Greece (Athena Kalokerunou-Anagnostopoulou). Chapter 15 - Transcultural Healthcare Issues in Spain (Silvia Garcia Barros). Part 4: Global Perspectives and Cultural Competence. Chapter 16 - A Trisomial Concept of Socio-Cultural and Refligious Factors in Healthcare Decision Making and Service Provision in the Muslim Arab World (Zbys Fedorowicz and Thomas D. Walczyk). Chapter 17 - Transcultural Healthcare in Israel: Past History and Current Issues (Verad Delbar). Chapter 18 - Transcultural Nursing: the Way to Prepare Culturally Competent Practitioners in Australia (Akram Omeri). Chapter 19 - Culture and Health: Discourses and Practices in the Canadian Context (M. Judith Lynam). Chapter 20 - Reflections and Conclusions (Irena Papadopoulos). Index.
- No. of pages: 368
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Churchill Livingstone 2006
- Published: May 11, 2006
- Imprint: Churchill Livingstone
- Paperback ISBN: 9780443101311
- eBook ISBN: 9780702033797
About the Editor
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Transcultural Health and Social Care"