Bringing together comprehensive, easy-to-read coverage of medical assisting competencies and a solid foundation of anatomy and physiology, Today's Medical Assistant: Clinical & Administrative Procedures, 4th Edition provides everything you need to successfully begin a career as a medical assistant. This hands-on guide uses easy-to-follow language and detailed visuals to walk you through all the medical knowledge, procedures, and skills you need for success in today's fast-paced medical office. Cutting-edge content is organized around medical assisting standards and competencies, supplemented throughout with a wide assortment of engaging learning tools and activities that help you to fully understand and demonstrate those competencies. The 4th Edition features enhanced coverage of healthcare law, certification, electronic health records, motivational interviewing, office management, and more, as well as additional procedures to address behavior-based competencies and expanded sample certification exams online. For tomorrow’s professional landscape, look no further than Today’s Medical Assistant!
- Consistent and meticulous coverage throughout all elements of the text and its learning package provide reliable content and unparalleled accuracy on the responsibilities of the modern medical assistant.
- More than 120 detailed, step-by-step procedures with illustrations are accompanied by skills videos online.
- UNIQUE! Effective learning aids include procedure charting activities, What Would You Do?/What Would You Not Do? scenarios, patient education and practice applications, and much more.
- Wide range of engaging learning activities on the companion website provide fun, interactive practice.
SECTION 1: Introduction to Medical Assisting
1. The Health Care System
2. The Professional Medical Assistant
3. Ethics and Law for the Medical Office
4. Interacting with Patients
SECTION 2: Anatomy and Physiology
5. Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology
6. Integumentary System
7. Skeletal System
8. Muscular System
9. Nervous System
10. The Senses
11. Endocrine System
12. Circulatory System
13. Respiratory System
14. Digestive System
15. Urinary System
16. Reproductive System
SECTION 3: Clinical Component
17. Medical Asepsis and the OSHA Standard
18. Sterilization and Disinfection
19. Vital Signs
20. The Physical Examination
21. Eye and Ear Assessment and Procedures
22. Physical Agents to Promote Tissue Healing
23. The Gynecologic Examination and Prenatal Care
24. The Pediatric Examination
25. Minor Office Surgery
26. Administration of Medication and Intravenous Therapy
27. Cardiopulmonary Procedures
28. Specialty Examinations and Procedures: Colon Procedures, Male Reproductive Health, and Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging
29. Introduction to the Clinical Laboratory
33. Blood Chemistry and Immunology
34. Medical Microbiology
36. Emergency Preparedness and Protective Practices
37. Emergency Medical Procedures and First Aid
SECTION 4: Administrative Component
38. The Medical Record
39. Patient Reception
40. Medical Office Computerization
41. Telephone Techniques
42. Scheduling Appointments
43. Medical Records Management
44. Written Communications and Mail
45. Managing Practice Finances
46. Medical Coding
47. Medical Insurance
48. Billing and Collections
49. The Medical Assistant as Office Manager
50. Obtaining Employment
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2021
- 2nd March 2020
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Coordinator and Instructor, Medical Assistant Technology, Hocking College, Nelsonville, OH, Former member, Curriculum Review Board of the American Association of Medical Assistants
Former Professor and Coordinator, Medical Assisting Program, Middlesex Community College, Lowell, MA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.