Section 1: INTRODUCTION TO MEDICAL ASSISTING
1. The Health Care System
2. The Professional Medical Assistant
3. Ethics and Law for the Medical Office
4. Interacting with Patients
Section 2: ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY COMPONENT
5. Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology
6. Integumentary System
7. Skeletal System
8. Muscular System
9. Nervous System
10. The Senses
11. Endocrine System
12. Circulatory System
13. Respiratory System
14. Digestive System
15. Urinary System
16. Reproductive System
Section 3: CLINICAL COMPONENT
17. Medical Asepsis and the OSHA Standard
18. Sterilization and Disinfection
19. Vital Signs
20. The Physical Examination
21. Eye and Ear Assessment and Procedures
22. Physical Agents to Promote Tissue Healing
23. The Gynecologic Examination and Prenatal Care
24. The Pediatric Examination
25. Minor Office Surgery
26. Administration of Medication and Intravenous Therapy
27. Cardiopulmonary Procedures
28. Specialty Examinations and Procedures:
Male Reproductive Health
Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging
29. Introduction to the Clinical Laboratory
33. Blood Chemistry and Serology
34. Medical Microbiology
35. Emergency Medical Procedures
Section 4: ADMINISTRATIVE COMPONENT
36. The Medical Record
37. Patient Reception
38. Medical Office Computerization
39. Telephone Techniques
40. Scheduling Appointments
41. Medical Records Management
42. Written Communications
44. Managing Practice Finances
45. Medical Cod
For the first time – all in one volume – here’s everything you need to prepare for a successful career as a medical assistant! Today’s Medical Assistant: Clinical & Administrative Procedures is a hands-on, comprehensive guide to all of the concepts and skills you need for success in today’s busy medical office: medical knowledge, clinical skills, and administrative details. No other medical assisting text provides everything you need in such a practical, accessible package! Bringing together the clinical know-how of Kathy Bonewit-West, the administrative expertise of Sue Hunt, and the anatomy and physiology knowledge of Edith Applegate, this unique text offers a single-volume, manageable approach to both clinical and administrative procedures, as well as an essential understanding of anatomy and physiology. It provides a solid foundation for success in today’s fast-paced medical office, covering all the concepts and skills needed for modern medical assisting and their application to real-life situations.
- Streaming video presentations of 89 procedures on four companion DVD-ROMs clarify procedures from the text and reinforce your understanding.
- Two companion CD-ROMs offer animations, games, exercises, and other helpful activities designed to help you assess your content knowledge, improve your critical thinking skills, and make learning more interesting and effective.
- Interactive A & P Review exercises on the CD-ROM (Body Spectrum and ArchieMD animations with exercises) help you master challenging anatomy and physiology content.
- Evolve offers online access to additional exercises, charting/documentation examples, and externship evaluation tools.
- More than 120 procedures are presented in a clear, step-by-step format in the text, including underlying principles and illustrations depicting the technique. Procedures also include Charting Examples to help you understand the process for charting your own procedures.
- Includes coverage of anatomy and physiology, plus up-to-date content on the medical record (including HIPAA, electronic medical records [EMR], and advanced directives), documentation (including billing and coding), medical office terminology, medical asepsis, vital signs, pediatrics, colonoscopy, IV therapy, CLIA Waived Tests, and much more.
- What Would You Do?/What Would You Not Do? challenges you to analyze and respond to real-life applications of case studies.
- Apply your Knowledge questions at the end of each chapter help you assess your knowledge of the material you’ve just covered.
- Prepare for Certification sections at the end of each chapter help you master important elements covered in medical assisting certification examinations.
- Putting It All into Practice boxes and Memories from Externship boxes introduce realistic medical assistants so that you can witness real-life medical situations.
- Patient Teaching boxes emphasize this important aspect of a medical assi
- eBook ISBN:
Coordinator and Instructor, Medical Assistant Technology, Hocking College, Nelsonville, OH, Former member, Curriculum Review Board of the American Association of Medical Assistants
Former Professor and Coordinator, Medical Assisting Program, Middlesex Community College, Lowell, MA
Professor of Sciences and Mathematics, Kettering College of Medical Arts, Kettering, OH