Therapy in Sleep Medicine, by Drs. Teri J. Barkoukis, Jean K. Matheson, Richard Ferber, and Karl Doghrami, provides the clinically focused coverage you need for rapid diagnosis and effective treatment of sleep disorders. A multidisciplinary team of leading authorities presents the latest on sleep breathing disorders (including obstructive sleep apnea), neuropharmacology, parasomnias, neurologic disorders affecting sleep, sleep therapy for women, sleep therapy in geriatric patients, controversies, and future trends in therapy in a highly illustrated, easy-to-follow format. The fully searchable text is online at www.expertconsult.com, making this practical resource portable and easily accessible.
- Access the fully searchable text online at Expert Consult, along with links to PubMed.
- Diagnose and treat patients effectively with complete coverage of the full range of sleep disorders.
- Find diagnostic and treatment information quickly and easily thanks to a highly illustrated, easy-to-read format that highlights key details.
- Stay current on discussions of hot topics, including sleep breathing disorders (including obstructive sleep apnea), neuropharmacology, parasomnias, neurologic disorders affecting sleep, sleep therapy for women, sleep therapy in geriatric patients, controversies, and future trends in therapy.
- Tap into the expertise of a multidisciplinary team of leading authorities for well-rounded, trusted guidance.
Introduction to Sleep Medicine
Chapter 1: History of Sleep in Society, Sleep Science, and Sleep Medicine, 3
Chapter 2: Approach to the Patient with a Sleep Disorder, 10
Chapter 3: Introduction to Sleep Medicine Diagnostics in Adults, 28
Background to Sleep Medicine Therapeutics
Chapter 4: Overview of Sleep, 43
Chapter 5: Essentials of Sleep Medicine Neuropharmacology, 62
Chapter 6: Stimulant Pharmacology, 85
Chapter 7: Pharmacology of Benzodiazepine Receptor Agonist Hypnotics, 99
Chapter 8: Pharmacology of Psychotropic Drugs, 109
Chapter 9: Alternative Therapeutics for Sleep Disorders, 126
Chapter 10: Overview of Insomnia, 143
Chapter 11: Sleep/Wake Lifestyle Modiﬁ cations, 151
Chapter 12: Cognitive Behavioral and Psychological Therapies for Chronic Insomnia, 161
Chapter 13: Pharmacotherapeutic Approach to Insomnia in Adults, 172
Chapter 14: The Role of Psychology in Sleep Disorders and in Their Treatment, 181
Chapter 15: Behavioral and Medical Interventions in Sleep-Related Breathing Disorders, 195
Chapter 16: Positive Airway Pressure Therapy for Obstructive Sleep Apnea, 206
Chapter 17: Surgical Therapy for Obstructive Sleep Apnea/ Hypopnea Syndrome, 218
Chapter 18: Oral Appliances in Snoring and Sleep Apnea Syndrome, 230
Chapter 19: Central and Mixed Sleep-Related Breathing Disorders, 243
Chapter 20: Nocturnal Ventilation in Chronic Hypercapnic Respiratory Diseases, 254
Chapter 21: Sleep-Related Disorders in Chronic Pulmonary Disease, 270
Chapter 22: Narcolepsy, 289
Chapter 23: Non-Narcoleptic Hypersomnias of Central Origin, 297
Chapter 24: Restless Legs Syndrome and Periodic Limb Movement Disorders, 307
Chapter 25: Sleep-Related Bruxism, 324
Chapter 26: Sleep Disorders in Parkinson’s Disease and Parkinsonian Syndromes, 330
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2012
- 27th October 2011
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN: