Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
The Variation Method in Quantum Chemistry is generally a description of the basic theorems and points of view of the method. Applications of these theorems are also presented through several variational procedures and concrete examples. The book contains nine concise chapters wherein the first two ones tackle the general concept of the variation method and its applications. Some chapters deal with other theorems such as the Generealized Brillouin and Hellmann-Feynman Theorems. Also covered in the discussion is the relation of the Perturbation Theory and the Variation Method.
This book will be of great help to students and researchers studying quantum chemistry.
Chapter I General Theory of the Variation Method
1. Some Background
2. The Variation Principle
3. The Variation Method: Introduction
4. The Variation Method: Details
5. The Variation Method and Moments of the Schrödinger Equation
Chapter II Applications of the Variation Method
6. The Linear Variation Method
7. Linear Spaces and Excited States
8. The Unrestricted Hartree-Fock Approximation
9. The Unrestricted Self-Consistent Field Approximation
Chapter III The Generalized Brillouin Theorem
10. Derivation and Applications of the Theorem
Chapter IV Special Theorems Satisfied by Optimal Trial Functions
13. Unitary Invariance
15. Generalized Hellmann-Feynman Theorems
Chapter V Perturbation Theory and the Variation Method: General Theory
16. Hypervirial Theorems: General
17. Momentum Theorems
18. Force Theorems
19. Torque Theorems
20. Virial Theorems
21. Orthogonality and Related Theorems
Chapter VI Perturbation Theory and the Variation Method: Applications
22. The Variation Principle and Perturbation Theory
23. Perturbation Analysis of the Variation Method: Introduction
24. Perturbation Analysis of the Variation Method: General Formalism
25. Variation Methods within the Variation Method
26. The ?2n+1 Theorem and Interchange Theorems
27. Perturbation Analysis of the Linear Variation Method
28. Perturbation Analysis of USCF and UHF: One-Particle Perturbations
29. The L-1 Expansion
Chapter VII The Hylleraas Variation Method
30. Perturbation Analysis of the Variation Principle and the Hylleraas Variation Method
31. The Second-Order Hylleraas Variation Method: Details
32. The Linear Hylleraas Variation Method
33. Improvable Upper Bounds to Second-Order Energies for Excited States
34. The Second-Order Hylleraas Variation Method with Two Perturbations
Chapter VIII Special Theorems Satisfied by Optimal First-Order Trial Functions
35. Derivation of Theorems
Chapter IX Corrections to Approximate Calculations
36. Mostly First-Order Corrections
Appendix A The Max-Min Theorem
Appendix B Lagrange Multipliers
Appendix C Theorems Satisfied by Optimal Time-Dependent Variational Wave Functions
Appendix D Various Hypervirial Theorems in the Presence of Magnetic Fields
Appendix E Proof That (33-18) Is an Improvable Bound
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 1974
- 1st January 1974
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN:
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.