Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
The Use of Mass Spectrometry Technology (MALDI-TOF) in Clinical Microbiology presents the state-of the-art for MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry. It is a key reference defining how MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry is used in clinical settings as a diagnostic tool of microbial identification and characterization that is based on the detection of a mass of molecules. The book provides updated applications of MALDI-TOF techniques in clinical microbiology, presenting the latest information available on a technology that is now used for rapid microbial identification at relatively low cost, thus offering an alternative to conventional laboratory diagnosis and proteomic identification systems.
Although the main use of the technology has, until now, been identification or typing of bacteria from a positive culture, applications in the field of virology, mycology, microbacteriology and resistances are opening up new opportunities.
- Presents updated applications of MALDI-TOF techniques in clinical microbiology
- Describes the use of mass spectrometry in the lab, the principles of the technology, preparation of samples, device calibration and maintenance, treatment of microorganisms, and quality control
- Presents key information for researchers, including possible uses of the technology, differences between devices, how to interpret results, and future applications
- Covers the topic in a systematic and comprehensive manner that is useful to both clinicians and researchers
Microbiologists, infectologists, laboratory technicians, postgraduate and postdoctoral researchers
- Proteomics: technology and applications
2. Basis on mass spectrometry. Technical variants
3. MALDI-TOF commercial platforms for microbial identification
4. Work procedures in MALDI-TOF technology
5. Indications, interpretation of results, advantages, disadvantages and limitations of MALDI-TOF
6. Quality control in MALDI-TOF techniques
7. Application of MALDI-TOF for bacterial identification
8. Detection of bacterial resistance through MALDI-TOF technology
9. Direct identification of pathogens from positive blood cultures by MALDI-TOF technology
10. Use of MALDI-TOF techniques in the diagnosis of urinary tract pathogens
11. Direct application of MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry to cerebrospinal fluid for pathogen identification
12. Application of MALDI-TOF in clinical virology
13. Use of MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry in microbacterial diagnosis
14. Use of MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry in fungal diagnosis
15. Application of MALDI-TOF in bacterial strain typing and taxonomy
16. Future applications of MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry in clinical microbiology
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2018
- 9th August 2018
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Dr Fernando Cobo is a specialist in microbiology working in the Microbiology Department of the Hospital de Poniente, Spain, and has previously worked at the University Hospital Virgen de las Nievas and the Stem Cell Bank of Andalucía. He is a member of several professional societies including the Spanish Society of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, and has published over 50 peer-reviewed journal articles, 10 books, 90 book chapters, and 120 national and international conference papers.
Hospital de Poniente, Spain