Table of Contents
- PART 1: The Birth of a Beautiful Theory
1. So what is all this talk about entropy?
2. The science of heat and work: Classical Thermodynamics
3. Much more about entropy
4. Link of thermodynamics to modern physics
PART 2: Entropy and Our Society, Culture, Planet, and our Universe
5. Entropy, the economic process, and the world's environmental problems
6. Energy, entropy and life and heat death
7. The use of the concept of entropy in other sciences
Appendix I: Two more laws of thermodynamics?
Appendix II: Another way of looking at entropy
Appendix III: How does the gas heat up the air pump?
Appendix IV: Will shuffling a deck of cards change the entropy?
Appendix V: How much does the entropy change in the case of gas expansion and gas mixing?
Appendix VI: Thermodynamic Timeline
Appendix VII: Can the human body be considered a heat engine?
Appendix VIII: Ways to concentrate energy: nuclear energy, photovoltaic cells, and fuel cells
Appendix IX: Qualitative definitions and descriptions of entropy
Appendix X: Some simple calculations and interesting numbers
- No. of pages: 226
- Language: English
- Copyright: © William Andrew 2007
- Published: January 22, 2007
- Imprint: William Andrew
- eBook ISBN: 9780815519300
- Hardcover ISBN: 9780815515371
About the Author
John E.J. Schmitz
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "The Second Law of Life"