Written by food chemists, food scientists, and technologists, The Role of Alternative and Innovative Food Ingredients and Products in Consumer Wellness provides a guide for innovative food ingredients and innovative food products.
The book covers consumer wellness as it relates to food ingredients and functional foods, alternative ingredients, food products fortified with extracts derived from food processing by-products, food products based on Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and their health effects, selected superfoods and related super diets, edible insects, microalgae as health ingredients for functional foods and spirulina related products,fruit-based functional foods, pro- and pre-biotics, gluten-free products, and bioaromas.
Food scientists, food technologists and nutrition researchers working on food applications and food processing, as well as those who are interested in the development of innovative products and functional foods, are sure to benefit from this reference, as will students who study food chemistry, food science and technology, and food processing in postgraduate programs.
- Connects integrally new and reconsidered food ingredients with innovative food products
- Addresses consumer wellness as it relates to food ingredients and functional foods
- Analyzes food products and processes with the highest market potential
Nutrition researchers, food scientists, technologists, engineers, and chemists working in food science; new product developers; researchers, academics and professionals working in the food industry. The book could also be used in postgraduate programs focused on food chemistry, food science and technology and food processing
1. Consumer wellness associated with foods and ingredients
2. Wellness ingredients and functional foods
3. Fruit-based functional foods
4. The concept of superfoods in diet
5. Food supplements formulated with Spirulina
6. Microalgae as healthy ingredients for functional foods
7. Plant-based alternatives
8. Edible insects and related products
9. Low glycemic index ingredients and modified starches in food products
10. Products based on omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids & health effects
11. Gluten-free products
12. Value-added products from milk proteins
13. Food industry processing by-products in foods
14. Sensory evaluation of alternative products
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2019
- 1st August 2019
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
Dr. Galanakis is an interdisciplinary scientist with experience in food and environmental science and technology, innovation and sustainability, industry and academia. He has established the "Food Waste Recovery" term and discipline with an ultimate goal to inspire related professionals to extract high added-value compounds from wasted by-products in all stages of food production (from agriculture to the consumer) and re-utilize them in the food chain. He is the R&I director of Galanakis Laboratories (Chania, Greece) and coordinator of Food Waste Recovery Group (SIG5) of ISEKI Food Association (Vienna, Austria). He serves as an editorial board member and subject editor of Food and Bioproducts Processing and Food Research International, where he has published many research articles, reviews, monographs, conference proceedings, and edited books.
Research and Innovation Director, Galanakis Laboratories, Chania, Greece