Table of Contents
- 1. What is Risk Taking Behavior?
A short description of the long history of risk taking. Definitions of risk taking. The multifacetedness of risk taking
2. How Do We Perceive Risks?
Risk perception and risk acceptance. Cross-cultural aspects of risk perception
3. Who Engages in Risk Taking Behavior?
Risk taking and the theory of evolution. Risk taking and arousal. Individual (personality) differences and risk taking. Risk taking and sensation seeking. Reversal theory
4. Which Situational Factors Influence Risk Taking Behavior?
Decision making under uncertainty. Historical development of expectancy x value theories. Modern expectancy x value theories. Utility theories and risk taking
5. How is Risk Taking Motivated and Emotionally Experienced?
Risk taking and theories of motivation. Risk taking and emotions
6. What Controls Risk Taking Behavior?
Personal control: Definitions and historical concepts. Personal control and evolutionary utility. Personal control and psycho-biological consequences. Perceived control and risk taking behavior. Illusion of control. The two-process model of perceived control
7. What are the Consequences of Risk Taking Behavior?
Young people, risk taking behavior and accidents. Risk taking behavior and sport accidents. Risk taking behavior and industrial accidents. Risk taking and traffic accidents. Theories of risk taking and traffic accidents
8. How Do We Adapt to the Desire for and the Control of Risk Taking Behavior?
Risk compensation behavior and risk homeostasis theory. Technical or psychological accident reduction
9. How Can We Explain Risk Taking Behavior Holistically?
Developing risk motivation theory. Research examining risk motivation theory
10. What Does Risk Motivation Mean for Our Daily Lives as Researchers and as Normal Risk Takers?
Research implications of a motivation for risks. Implications of a risk motivation for real life. Personal conclusions. References. Author index. Subject index.
- No. of pages: 416
- Language: English
- Copyright: © North Holland 1994
- Published: April 28, 1994
- Imprint: North Holland
- eBook ISBN: 9780080867618
- Hardcover ISBN: 9780444899613
About the Author
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "The Psychology of Risk Taking Behavior"