Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Eight previous iterations of this text have proven to be highly regarded and considered the definitive training guide and instructional text for first-line security officers in both the private and public sectors. The material included in the newest version covers all the subjects essential to the training of protection officers. This valuable resource and its predecessors have been utilized worldwide by the International Foundation for Protection Officers since 1988, as the core curriculum for the Certified Protection Officer (CPO) Program. The Professional Protection Officer: Practical Security Strategies and Emerging Trends provides critical updates and fresh guidance, as well as diagrams and illustrations; all have been tailored to the training and certification needs of today’s protection professionals.
- Offers trainers and trainees all new learning aids designed to reflect the most current information and to support and reinforce professional development
- Written by a cross-disciplinary contributor team consisting of top experts in their respective fields
Security Management students, Physical Security Managers, Supervisors, Executives
PART 1: Foundations
1. Concepts and Theories of Asset Protection
2. Role of the Professional Protection Officer
3. The Security Officer of the 21st Century
4. Time and Stress Management
Appendix 4A - Critical Incident Stress
5. 100 Things Protection Officers Need to Know
PART II: Practical and Operational Applications
6. Occupational Health, Industrial Hazards, Vulnerability Assessment, and Self-Assessment
7. Legal Aspects of Security
8. Patrol Principles
Appendix 8A - Four Critical Points
9. The Importance of CPR/AED and First Aid Training for Security Officers
10. Officer Safety and Use of Force
11. Active Assailant Preparedness: Beyond Active Shooter Response
Appendix 11A - A Look at Solutions to Active Shooters
Appendix 11B - Saving a Life, It's in Your Hands
12. Apprehension and Detention Procedures
13. Traffic Control
14. Fire Prevention, Detection, and Response
15. Access Control
16. Contraband Detection Technology
Appendix 16A - Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (Drone) Usage in the 21st Century
17. Effective Communications
18. Crime and Incident Scene Procedures
19. Foundations for Surveillance
20. Report Writing and Field Notes
21. Crisis Intervention
Appendix 21A - Mental Illness Takes Many Forms
22. Substance Abuse
23. Investigation: Concepts and Practices for Security Professionals
Appendix 23A - ASIS International: Investigator Certification
24. Interviewing and Statements
25. Crowd Management and Special Event Planning
26. Strikes, Lockouts, and Labor Relations
27. Workplace Crime and Deviance
28. Espionage—A Primer
29. Terrorism: What Protection Officers Need to Know
30. Bomb Threats and the Case Against Immediate Evacuation
31. An All-Hazards Approach to Hazardous Materials
32. What is Risk?
Appendix 32A - What Is Risk Management?
33. Emergency Planning
34. Security Awareness
35. Building a Sustainable Culture of Security
36. The Protection Officer's Role in Critical Information Infrastructure Protection
37. Physical Security Concepts and Applications
38. Alarm System Fundamentals
39. VIP Security
40. Information Security and Counterintelligence
41. Cybersecurity for Professional Security Officers
PART III: Advancing your Security Career
42. Ethics and Professionalism
44. The Protection Officer as a Leader
45. Career Planning
Epilogue - Training Topics From ASIS Guideline PSO-2019
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2019
- 4th December 2019
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Sandi J Davies has served as the Executive Director of the International Foundation for Protection Officers (IFPO) for more than 25 years. She is the former Chairperson of the Security Services Council for ASIS International, and is currently a member of the Security Services Council and the Women In Security Council of ASIS International. Sandi has edited eight editions of The Professional Protection Officer, as well as all four editions of Security Supervision: Theory and Practice of Asset Protection.
Executive Director, International Foundation for Protection Officers (IFPO)
Lawrence J. Fennelly is an internationally recognized authority on crime prevention, security planning and analysis, and on the study of how environmental factors (CPTED), physical hardware, alarms, lighting, site design, management practices, litigation consultants, security policies and procedures, and guard management contribute to criminal victimization.
Mr. Fennelly was previously employed with Apollo Security, Computershare, Inc., as well as a sergeant at Harvard College, employed by the Harvard University Police Department in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He was trained as a crime prevention specialist and served in this capacity for over 21 years at Harvard. He was also the department’s training officer and assistant court officer. As part of his role as an officer at Harvard, Larry also was a deputy sheriff in both Suffolk and Middlesex counties (Massachusetts). Mr. Fennelly is a frequent speaker and lecturer on CPTED, physical security, school crime, and other issues. He serves as an expert witness who works closely with attorneys in defense as well as plaintiff cases, assisting in case preparation, offering knowledgeable questions to ask the opposing side, etc. He has also done a considerable amount of consultant work throughout the United States. His experience ranges from identifying vulnerabilities to conducting security and lighting surveys, working with architects to design and implement security, and developing long range guard training programs and risk assessments of various facilities. He is also a prolific author. His titles include such well-known security books as "Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design," "Effective Physical Security," and "Handbook of Loss Prevention and Crime Prevention."
Expert witness and consultant in security, Litigation Consultants Inc., Massachusetts, USA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.