Offering timely guidance on the junction of the opioid crisis and infectious diseases, this practical handbook by Dr. Brianna L. Norton provides concise yet comprehensive coverage of a growing patient population. Infectious disease specialists are increasingly seeing patients who previously used opiods and now use intravenous drugs. Many challenges are unique to this patient population, including new and growing infections such as hepatitis C, endocarditis, HIV, and hepatitis B. The Opioid Epidemic and Infectious Diseases is an up-to-date, real-world guide that covers the scope of the problem, management guidelines, and much more.
1. The epidemiology of the opioid overdose epidemic in the United States
Daniel Ciccarone, MD, MPH
2. The case of Scott County: injection drug use and HIV/hepatitis C virus Outbreak
John Cafardi, MD, Judith Feinberg, MD
3. Opioid use disorder and rural America
Wajiha Z. Akhtar, PhD, MPH, Judith Feinberg, MD
4. Opioid use disorder and HIV
Gregory M. Lucas, MD, PhD
5. The Intersection of the Opioid and Hepatitis C Epidemics
Divya Ahuja, MD, Irene Pericot-Valverde, PhD & Alain H. Litwin, MD
6. Chronic hepatitis B and the intersection with opioid use disorders
Kali Zhou, MD, MAS, Norah Terrault, MD, MPH
7. Opioid Use Disorder and Endocarditis
Christopher F. Rowley
8. Opioid Use Disorder (OUD), Infectious Diseases, and the Criminal Justice System
Jody Rich and Radha Sadacharan
9. Modeling the impact of harm reduction for opioid use disorder on infectious disease prevention
Annick Bo´rquez, PhD, MSc, Javier A. Cepeda, PhD, MPH, Natasha K. Martin, DPhil
10. Notes on harm reduction and the opioid epidemic in the United States
Don C. Des Jarlais, PhD, Jonathan Feelemyer, Hayley Berg, David Perlman
11. Outpatient opioid use disorder treatment for the ID physician
Dharushana Muthulingam, Lynn M. Madden, Frederick L. Altice
12. Inpatient opioid use disorder treatment for the infectious disease physician
Nikhil Seval, MD, Ellen Eaton, MD, MSPH, Sandra A. Springer, MD
13. HIV preexposure prophylaxis for people who inject drugs
Roman Shrestha, PhD, Benjamin McCoy-Redd, BS, Jaimie P. Meyer, MD, MS, FACP
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2020
- 25th October 2020
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.