Use the simplicity of the dimensional analysis method to minimize drug calculation errors! The Nurse, The Math, The Meds, 2nd Edition helps you overcome any math anxiety you may have by clearly explaining how to use the dimensional analysis method. It shows how to analyze practice problems, find the reasonable answer, and then evaluate it. But first, it lets you refresh your math skills with a review of essential math. Written by noted nursing educator Joyce Mulholland, this book offers over 1,400 questions for plenty of practice in mastering math concepts and learning dosage calculations.
- A comprehensive math review at the beginning of the book includes a self-assessment test to help you identify areas of strength and weakness.
- A consistent chapter format includes objectives, essential prior knowledge, equipment needed, estimated time to complete the chapter, key vocabulary, and more.
- Rapid Practice exercises follow each new topic with multiple practice problems, so you can apply concepts immediately.
- A full-color design includes a special margin section so you can work out practice problems on the spot.
- Mnemonics make memorization easier and save time in learning.
- Test tips enhance your comprehension and improve test-taking skills and comfort level.
- Red arrow alerts call attention to critical math concepts and patient safety theory.
- Clinical Relevance boxes help you apply medication-related concepts to practice.
- Unique! FAQ and Answers are derived from students' actual classroom questions, and are especially useful if you are studying outside of a classroom environment.
- Unique! Ask Yourself questions help in synthesizing information and reinforcing understanding.
- Unique! Communication boxes include sample nurse-patient and nurse-prescriber dialogues that illustrate clinical application of medication administration.
- Cultural boxes describe selected math notation and medication-related cultural practices.
- TJC and ISMP recommendations for abbreviations, acronyms, and symbols are used to reduce medication errors, increase patient safety, and ensure compliance with agency regulations.
- Online and print references provide opportunities for further research and study.
- Two chapter finals are included at the end of each chapter.
- Two comprehensive finals evaluate your understanding, one in NCLEX® exam-style multiple-choice format and the other following a traditional written format.
- Answer key in the back of the book provides step-by-step solutions to the Rapid Practice exercises, chapter finals, and comprehensive finals so you can pinpoint specific areas for further review.
Part I: Essential Math for Medication Calculations
Essential Math Assessment
1. Essential Math Review
2. Dimensional Analysis Calculations
Part II: Modern Metric System and Medication Calculations
3. Measurement Units and Conversions for Medications
4. Patient Records, Medication Orders and Labels
5. Solid and Liquid Oral Dose Calculations
Part III: Reconstituted Medications
6. Syringe Measurements
7. Reconstitution of Powders and Liquids
Part IV: IV Parenteral Medication Calculations
8. Injectable Medication Calculations
9. Basic Intravenous Calculations
10. Advanced Intravenous Calculations
Part V: Oral and Injectable Hormone Calculations
11. Antidiabetic Agents
12. Anticoagulant Agents
Part VI: Medications for Infants and Children
13. Pediatric Medication Calculations
Comprehensive Written Final
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2011
- 21st December 2010
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Nursing Education Consultant, Tucson, AZ