2015 BMA Medical Book Awards Highly Commended in Oncology Category!
The Molecular Basis of Cancer arms you with the latest knowledge and cutting-edge advances in the battle against cancer. This thoroughly revised, comprehensive oncology reference explores the scientific basis for our current understanding of malignant transformation and the pathogenesis and treatment of this disease. A team of leading experts thoroughly explains the molecular biologic principles that underlie the diagnostic tests and therapeutic interventions now being used in clinical trials and practice. Detailed descriptions of topics from molecular abnormalities in common cancers to new approaches for cancer therapy equip you to understand and apply the complexities of ongoing research in everyday clinical application.
- Effectively determine the course of malignancy and design appropriate treatment protocols by understanding the scientific underpinnings of cancer.
- Visually grasp and retain difficult concepts easily thanks to a user-friendly format with abundant full-color figures.
- Find critical information quickly with chapters following a logical sequence that moves from pathogenesis to therapy.
The Molecular Basis of Cancer, 4e
Mendelsohn, Howley, Israel, Gray, Thompson
Part I: Carcinogenesis and Cancer Genetics
1. Cancer, A Genetic Disorder
2. Oncogenes and Signal Transduction
3. Tumor Suppressor Genes
4. Genomic Instability and DNA Repair
5. Epigenetics and Cancer
6. Infectious Agents and Cancer
7. Environmental Carcinogenesis
8. Animal Models: Flies, Fish and Yeast
9. Genetic Mouse Models of Cancer
Part II: Cancer Biology
10. Cancer Stem Cells
11. Regulation of the Cell Cycle
12. Cell Growth
13. Cancer Cell Metabolism
14. Apoptosis, Autophagy and Necrosis
15. Cell Growth Arrest and Senescence
16. Stromal-Cancer Interactions in the Microenvironment
17. Hypoxia and Angiogenesis
18. Invasion and Metastasis
19. Inflammation and Cancer
20. Molecular Pathways and Systems Biology
Part III: Molecular Pathology and Diagnostics
21. Biomarkers Assessing Risk of Cancer
22. Biomarkers for Detecting Cancer: Molecular Screening
23. Biomarkers for Predicting Response to Specific Therapy
24. The Technology of Analyzing Nucleic Acids
25. Imaging Cancer