List of contributors.
1. Brain preparations for maternity - adaptive changes in behavioral and neuroendocrine systems during pregnancy and lactation: an overview (J.A. Russell, A.J. Douglas, C.D. Ingram).
2. Physiological roles for the neurosteroid allopregnanolone in the modulation of brain function
during pregnancy and parturition (A.E. Herbison).
3. Maternity leads to morphological synaptic plasticity in the oxytocin system (D.T. Theodosis, D.A. Poulain).
4. Oxytocin: who needs it? (T.R. Insel, B.S. Gingrich, M.M. Matzuk, L. Young).
5. Endogenous opioid regulation of oxytocin and ACTH secretion during pregnancy and parturition (A.J. Douglas, J.A. Russell).
6. The maternal spinal cord: biochemical and physiological correlates of steroid-activated
antinociceptive processes (A.R. Gintzler, N.-J. Liu).
7. Hypothalamic and limbic expression of CRF and vasopressin during lactation: implications for the control of ACTH secretion and stress hyporesponsiveness (C.-D. Walker, D.J. Toufexis, A. Burlet).
8. Peri-partum plasticity within the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis (S.L. Lightman, R.J. Windle, N. Shanks, C.D. Ingram).
9. The neurobiology of stress in human pregnancy: implications for development of the fetal
central nervous system (P.D. Wadhwa, C.A. Sandman, T.J. Garite).
10. Alterations in behavioral and neuroendocrine stress coping strategies in pregnant,
parturient and lactating rats (I. D. Neumann).
11. The actions of prolactin in the brain during pregnancy and lactation (D.R. Grattan).
12. Regulation of prolactin secretion during pregnancy and lactation (J.L. Voogt, Y.