Bring medical terminology to life with Davi-Ellen Chabner's bestselling The Language of Medicine, 10th Edition! By presenting medical terms within the context of the body’s anatomy and physiology, and in health and disease, this proven resource makes it easy to learn a working medical vocabulary built on the most frequently encountered prefixes, suffixes, and combining forms. Practical exercises and case studies demonstrate how medical terms are used in practice. Add an engaging student Evolve website with medical animations and videos, word games, flash cards, and more, and you’ll be ready to communicate confidently in the clinical setting and succeed in your healthcare career.
- Simple, clear, non-technical explanations demystify medical terminology even if you have little or no background in medicine or science.
- Practical applications such as case reports, operative and diagnostic tests, and laboratory and x-ray reports demonstrate the use of medical terminology in practice.
- Self-study text/workbook approach reinforces learning every step of the way with labeling diagrams, pronunciation tests, and review sheets.
- Full-color illustrations depict anatomy, physiology, and pathology, putting medical terms in the context of the body’s structure and function.
- Comprehensive glossaries and appendices serve as quick references for use in the classroom and on the job.
- Basic Word Structure
- Terms Pertaining to the Body as a Whole
- Digestive System
- Additional Suffixes and Digestive System Terminology
- Urinary System
- Female Reproductive System
- Male Reproductive System
- Nervous System
- Cardiovascular System
- Respiratory System
- Blood System
- Lymphatic and Immune Systems
- Musculoskeletal System
- Sense Organs: The Eye and the Ear
- Endocrine System
- Cancer Medicine (Oncology)
- Radiology and Nuclear Medicine
- Medical Word Parts to English
- English to Medical Word Parts
Appendix I: Plurals
Appendix II: Abbreviations, Acronyms, Eponyms, and Symbols
Appendix III: Normal Hematologic Reference Values and Implications of Abnormal Results
Appendix IV: Drugs
Appendix V: Complementary and Alternative Medicine Terms
- © Saunders 2014
- 22nd July 2013
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Newton Centre, MA
"It is important for today's healthcare practitioners to understand the correct meaning and use of medical terminology...The clinical importance of language is made clear throughout the book. The terminology comes to life with practical application sections and with case studies that discuss a range of medical conditions and procedures. This is a well-presented and challenging workbook that will be usefulfor established practitioners as well as students."
Nursing Standard, November 2013