Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
The Interaction of Food Industry and Environment addresses all levels of interaction, paying particular attention to avenues for responsible operational excellence in food production and processing. Written at a scientific level, this book explores many topics relating to the food industry and environment, including environmental management systems, environmental performance evaluation, the correlation between food industry, sustainable diets and environment, environmental regulation on the profitability of sustainable water use in the food industry, lifecycle assessment, green supply chain network design and sustainability, the valorization of food processing waste via biorefineries, food-energy-environment trilemma, wastewater treatment, and much more.
Readers will also find valuable information on energy production from food processing waste, packaging and food sustainability, the concept of virtual water in the food industry, water reconditioning and reuse in the food industry, and control of odors in the food industry. This book is a welcomed resource for food scientists and technologists, environmentalists, food and environmental engineers and academics.
- Addresses the interaction between the food industry and environment at all levels
- Focuses on the past decade’s advances in the field
- Provides a guide to optimize the current food industry’s performance
- Serves as a resource for anyone dealing with food and environmental science and technology
- Includes coverage of a variety of topics, including performance indicators, the correlation between the food industry, sustainable diets and the environment, environmental regulations, lifecycle assessments, green supply chain networks, and more
Food scientists, technologists, engineers and chemists working in food science; environmentalists, environmental technologists and environmental engineers; policy makers; researchers, academics and professionals working in the food industry; food processors and product development scientists; interdisciplinary scholars, engineers, managers, and policy makers from different disciplines who work on food and sustainability
1. Environmental management systems in the food industry
2. Environmental regulation and sustainable water management in food industry
3. Environmental performance evaluation of the food industry
4. Sustainability and environmental perspective of the food industry
5. Life Cycle Assessment in the food industry
6. Sustainable diets: The interaction between food industry and the environment
7. Green supply chain
8. Biorefineries for the valorization of food processing waste
9. Energy and food processing industry
10. Packaging and food sustainability
11. The concept of virtual water in the food industry
12. Wastewater treatment and water reuse in the food industry
13. Control of odors in the food industry
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2020
- 24th January 2020
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Charis M. Galanakis is a multidisciplinary scientist in agricultural sciences as well as food and environmental science, technology, and sustainability, with experience in both industry and academia. He is the research and innovation director of Galanakis Laboratories in Chania, Greece, an adjunct professor of King Saud University in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and the director of Food Waste Recovery Group (SIG5) of ISEKI Food Association in Vienna, Austria. He pioneered the new discipline of food waste recovery and has established the most prominent innovation network in the field. He also serves as a senior consultant for the food industry and expert evaluator for international and regional funded programs and proposals. He is an editorial board member of Food and Bioproducts Processing, Food Research International, Foods, and Molecules, has edited over 30 books, and has published hundreds of research articles, reviews, monographs, chapters, and conference proceedings.
Galanakis Laboratories, Chania, Greece
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.