1. Introduction to Food Irradiation and Medical Sterilization
2. Introduction to Plastics and Polymers
3. Introduction to the Physical, Mechanical, and Thermal Properties of Plastics and Elastomers
4. Styrene based Plastics
7. Polyamides (Nylons)
9. Polyvinyls and Acrylics
12. High Temperature/High Performance Polymers
13. Renewable Resource and Biodegradable polymers
The Effect of Sterilization Methods on Plastics and Elastomers brings together a wide range of essential data on the sterilization of plastics and elastomers, enabling engineers to make optimal material choices and design decisions. The data tables in this book enable engineers and scientists to select the right materials, and right sterilization method for a given product or application.
Data has been updated throughout, with expanded information on newer classes of polymer utilized in medical devices and sterile packaging, such as UHMWPE, high temperature plastics (PEEK, PES, PPS, etc.), PBT, PETG, etc. In addition to a range of updates, this edition also renders comparison charts in higher quality and in colour, for increased usability.
The book is a unique and essential reference for anybody working with plastic materials which are likely to be exposed to sterilization methods, be that in medical device or packaging development, food packaging, or other applications – providing critical data to help engineers and materials scientists avoid materials failure further down the line.
- Essential data and practical guidance for engineers and scientists working with plastics in applications that require sterile packaging and equipment
- This edition removes obsolete data, updates manufacturers, verifies data accuracy, and adds new plastics materials for comparison
- Provides essential information and guidance for FDA submissions required for new Medical Devices
Plastics engineers, product designers, packaging engineers and materials scientists. Medical device and packaging designers and users; polymer and coatings chemists; producers and users of sterile packaging products and medical devices. Sectors: food, beverage and pharmaceutical packaging; medical devices; chemical processing; agriculture; defense
- No. of pages:
- © William Andrew 2018
- William Andrew
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Larry McKeen has a Ph.D. in Chemistry from the University of Wisconsin and worked for DuPont Fluoroproducts from 1978–2014. As a Senior Research Associate Chemist he was responsible for new product development including application technology and product optimization for particular end-uses, and product testing. He retired from DuPont at the end of 2014 and is currently a consultant.
Senior Research Associate, DuPont, Wilmington, DE, USA