- Print ISBN 9780080969961
The measurement of tourism is not an easy task. In the last decade there has been a growing interest in the tourism world in new methods to measure demand and supply of tourism.
Fully revised and updated, The Economics of Tourism Destinations, Second Edition provides a succinct guide to the economic aspects of tourism for students and practitioners alike to decipher the methods of measurement of supply, demand, trends and impacts.
This book emphasizes new aspects such as measurement of tourism (e.g. Tourism Satellite Account), supply trends, competition models, macro evaluation of tourism projects and events and the role of tourism in a development strategy. Each chapter combines theory and practice and international case studies are provided.
- Fully revised and updated - new topics include monitoring source markets for destinations, key factors of competitiveness, computable general equilibrium models in tourism and the impact of the financial crisis
- Includes more examples and cases from outside Europe including America, Australia and Asia
- Brand new chapter dealing with pricing and taxation in tourism
Chapter 1: Economic characteristics of the tourism sector
- What is tourism
- Conceptual definitions
- Operational or technical definitions
- Dimensions of travel and tourism
- Types of tourism
- Tourism and related concepts
- Economic characteristics of tourism
- Is there a tourism industry?
- Tourist product is an amalgam
- Tourism is a service activity
- Tourism products are perishable
- Seasonality of tourism demand
- Interdependence of tourism products
- Relatively low investment costs but high cost of operation
- Tourism is a growth sector
- Predominance of SME’s
Chapter 2 Measurement of tourism
- A general Tourism Information System or Destination Management Information System
- Tourism information system
- Measurement of day-visitors
- Tourism Satellite Account
- Background, definition and objectives
- The demand perspective
- The supply perspective
- The TSA tables
- WTO tourism statistics
- Tourism and/or holiday surveys
- The typical tourism surveys in the UK.
- Holiday surveys
- Tourism production index - WES
- The Swiss Tourism Barometer
- No. of pages:
- © 2011
- 16th December 2010
- Print ISBN:
Review of the 1st Edition
"...this is an excellent and comprehensive publication which will be well received by researchers internationally and is an interesting insight and reminder of the major research contribution that continental European researchers are making at both the basic and theoretical levels."
- Brian Kinga, Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia