Learn how to apply nutritional principles to promote optimal patient care! The Dental Hygienist's Guide to Nutritional Care, 5th Edition explains how teaching proper nutrition can improve your clients’ oral and systemic health. Case studies and clear, full-color photos and illustrations provide a basis for assessing, diagnosing, planning, implementing, and evaluating the care of patients. In addition, a solid foundation in nutrition prepares you for the subject’s increased emphasis on the NBDHE examination. Written by an interdisciplinary author team with expertise in nutrition and dental hygiene, this book was the first nutritional guide designed specifically for dental hygienists!
- UNIQUE! Biochemistry chapter covers the essential concepts tested on the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination (NBDHE).
- UNIQUE! Coverage of vitamins and minerals is based on the oral effects of micronutrients.
- Clinically relevant applications to dental hygiene include a focus on patient education and dental hygiene considerations in each chapter.
- Case studies and Health Applications demonstrate how nutrition concepts can be applied to specific patient situations.
- Learning features include pretests and key terms highlighted in each chapter, with definitions in the glossary.
- Practice quizzes online allow you to test your comprehension, and include feedback and remediation for incorrect answers.
Part 1: Orientation to Basic Nutrition
1. Overview of Healthy Eating Habits
2. Concepts in Biochemistry
3. The Alimentary Canal: Digestion and Absorption
4. Carbohydrate: The Efficient Fuel
5. Protein: The Cellular Foundation
6. Lipids: The Condensed Energy
7. Use of the Energy Nutrients: Metabolism and Balance
8. Vitamins Required for Calcified Structures
9. Minerals Essential for Calcified Structures
10. Nutrients Present in Calcified Structures
11. Vitamins Required for Oral Soft Tissues and Salivary Glands
12. Water and Minerals Required for Oral Soft Tissues and Salivary Glands
Part II: Considerations of Clinical Nutrition
13. Nutritional Requirements Affecting Oral Health in Women
14. Nutritional Requirements during Growth and Development and Eating Habits Affecting Oral Health
15. Nutritional Requirements for Older Adults and Eating Habits Affecting Oral Health
16. Other Considerations Affecting Nutrient Intake
17. Effects of Systemic Disease on Nutritional Status and Oral Health
Part III: Nutritional Aspects of Oral Health
18. Nutritional Aspects of Dental Caries: Causes, Prevention, and Treatment
19. Nutritional Aspects of Gingivitis and Periodontal Disease
20. Nutritional Aspects of Alterations in the Oral Cavity
21. Nutritional Assessment and Counseling for Dental Hygiene Patients
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2019
- 16th February 2018
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Associate Professor, Dental Hygiene Program, Raymond Walters College, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH