The new book is the definitive text on the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE), providing an easily accessible account of the breadth and depth of experience gained worldwide from its use in a wide range of contexts and in different phases of education. The lessons learned from these diverse experiences are included throughout the text.
Used globally in all phases of education in the different healthcare professions, the OSCE was first described by the lead author, Harden, in 1975 and it is now the gold standard for performance assessment.
- This book provides a full understanding of the basic concepts underpinning the OSCE and shows how to implement an OSCE effectively and efficiently in a variety of contexts.
- It includes case studies demonstrating the use of the OSCE in practice in a range of different fields.
- Practical guidelines and tips are provided based on the authors’ extensive experience.
An introduction to the Objective Structured Clinical Examination
- What is an OSCE?
- The inside story of the development of the OSCE
- The OSCE as the gold standard for performance assessment
- How the OSCE can contribute to the education programme
- What is assessed in an OSCE?
Implementation of an OSCE
- Choosing a format for an OSCE
- The setting for an OSCE
- The patient
- The examiner
- Implementing an OSCE
- Evaluating the examinee’s performance
- Providing feedback to the learner
- The examinee’s perspective
- Evaluating an OSCE
- Costs and implementing an OSCE with limited resources
Some final thoughts
- Limitations of the OSCE
- Conclusions and looking to the future
Examples of the use of the OSCE in different settings and contexts: case studies
- No. of pages:
- © Churchill Livingstone 2015
- 6th August 2015
- Churchill Livingstone
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor Ronald M Harden is recognised as a leading international expert in medical education with experience as a teacher, curriculum developer, and teaching dean of a medical school. He is currently General Secretary of AMEE, an International Association for Medical Education.
General Secretary, Association of Medical Education in Europe; Former Professor of Medical Education, Director of the Centre for Medical Education and Teaching Dean, University of Dundee; Professor of Medical Education, Al-Imam University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Operations Director, AMEE - An International Association for Medical Education; Managing Editor, Medical Teacher
Professor of Education,Faculty of Medicine, University of Lisbon, Portugal.
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.