Epilepsy is one of most frequent neurological disorders affecting about 50 million people worldwide and 50% of them have at least another medical problem in comorbidity; sometimes this is a the cause of the epilepsy itself or it is due to shared neurobiological links between epilepsy and other medical conditions; other times it is a long-term consequence of the antiepileptic drug treatment.
The Comorbidities of Epilepsy offers an up-to-date, comprehensive overview of all comorbidities of epilepsy (somatic, neurological and behavioral), by international authorities in the field of clinical epileptology, with an emphasis on epidemiology, pathophysiology, diagnosis and management. This book includes also a critical appraisal of the methodological aspects and limitations of current research on this field. Pharmacological issues in the management of comorbidities are discussed, providing information on drug dosages, side effects and interactions, in order to enable the reader to manage these patients safely.
The Comorbidities of Epilepsy is aimed at all health professionals dealing with people with epilepsy including neurologists, epileptologists, psychiatrists, clinical psychologists, epilepsy specialist nurses and clinical researchers.
- Provides a comprehensive overview of somatic, neurological and behavioral co-morbidities of epilepsy
- Discusses up-to-date management of comorbidities of epilepsy
- Written by a group of international experts in the field
Neurologists, epileptologists, clinical researchers, neuropsychologists, general physicians, and students
1. Comorbidities of epilepsy: A theoretical framework
2. Costs of epilepsy: the impact of comorbidities
3. Epilepsy and Bone health
4. Epilepsy and Sexual Dysfunction
5. Epilepsy, Diabetes and other endocrinological disorders
6. Epilepsy, Coeliac disease and other inflammatory bowel diseases
7. Epilepsy and Obesity
8. Epilepsy and Heart diseases
9. Epilepsy and Cancer
10. Epilepsy, Headache and Chronic Pain
11. Epilepsy, Obstructive Sleep Apnoea Syndrome and other sleep disorders
12. Epilepsy and other Neurological Disorders
13. Epilepsy and Cognition
14. Epilepsy and Intellectual Disabilities
15. Epilepsy and Autistic Spectrum Disorder: diagnostic challenges and treatment consideration
16. Epilepsy and Mood and Anxiety disorders
17. Epilepsy and Psychoses
18. Epilepsy and Psychogenic Non-Epileptic Seizures
19. Nursing issues in managing comorbidities of epilepsy
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2019
- 1st April 2019
- Academic Press
- Hardcover ISBN:
Marco Mula, MD, PhD, is Consultant in Neurology and Epileptology at the Atkinson Morley Regional Neuroscience Centre, St. George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Reader in Neurology at St. George’s University of London. Dr Mula is currently Chair of the International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE) Task Force on Identification Treatment and Prevention of the Commission on Psychiatry and member of the ILAE Task Force on Paediatric Psychiatric Issues. He has authored almost 200 publications in the field of epilepsy treatment and the management of comorbidities of epilepsy with special reference to behavioural problems.
Consultant, Atkinson Morley Regional Neuroscience Centre, St. George’s University Hospitals, London, UK Chair of the International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE) Task Force on Identification Treatment and Prevention of the Commission on Psychiatry Member of the ILAE Task Force on Paediatric Psychiatric Issues