This textbook is a clinical resource for the management of dogs and cats with respiratory tract disease. The only book of its kind on the subject, it is an essential resource for students and clinicians specializing in this area of treatment of dogs and cats. Main sections cover approaches to problems, diagnosis, pulmonary function testing, non-specific management of disease, and specific disorders of the respiratory tract.
- The author is a recognized expert in respiratory medicine in small animals, joined by 60 of the top people in this field.
- Respiratory tract diagnostics is thoroughly covered, with descriptions of pathophysiology and state-of-the-art tools for diagnosis and management of respiratory tract disorders.
- A general discussion of the approach to problems in the field includes upper airway obstruction, panting, acute and chronic cough, nasal discharge, sneezing, and cyanosis in cats and dogs.
- Pulmonary function testing is discussed, including blood gas analysis, carbon dioxide monitoring, and pulse oximetry.
- Non-specific management of respiratory disease is covered, with information on pharmacology and fluid therapy.
- The final and largest section of the text details the specific disorders of the respiratory tract with a summary of diagnosis and treatment.
Part 1: Approach to problems in respiratory medicine
1. Respiratory distress and cyanosis in dogs (including chest tube placement)
2. Respiratory distress and cyanosis in cats
3. Nasal discharge, sneezing and reverse sneezing
5. Upper airway obstruction, stertor and stridor (including tracheostomy)
6. Acute and chronic cough
8. Pleural effusion
10. Respiratory muscle fatigue and failure
11. Physical examination of the respiratory tract
12. Imaging the respiratory tract (radiology, fluoroscopy, ultrasound, CT)
13. Thoracic scintigraphy
14. Rhinoscopy and sampling from the nasal cavity
15. Laryngoscopy and pharyngoscopy
17. Bronchoalveolar lavage
18. Tracheal washes (endotracheal and transtracheal)
19. Fine needle lung aspirates
21. Clinical pathology (cytology and pleural effusions) of the respiratory tract
22. Thoracoscopy and Lung biopsy
Part 3: Pulmonary function testing
23. Pulmonary mechanics (TBFVL, Resistance, Compliance)
25. Arterial blood gas analysis
26. Pulse oximetry
27. End-tidal capnography
28. Transcutaneous oxygen and carbon dioxide monitoring
Part 4: Non-specific management of respiratory disease
29. Oxygen supplementation and humidification
30. Airway hygiene (nebulization, chest wall coupage, etc)
31. Positive pressure ventilation
32. Pharmacology of the respiratory tract
33. Anesthesia of the patient with respiratory disease for bronchoscopy and surgery
34. Fluid therapy for the patient with respiratory disease
Part 5: Disorders of the respiratory tract
Nasal cavity and sinuses
35. Feline vira
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2004
- 12th December 2003
- Hardcover ISBN:
School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA