This ninth edition of the Textbook of Family Medicine, edited by Drs. Robert E. Rakel and David P. Rakel, remains your #1 choice for complete guidance on the principles of family medicine, primary care in the community, and all aspects of clinical practice. Ideal for both residents and practicing physicians, this medical reference book includes evidence-based, practical information to optimize patient care and prepare you for the ABFM exam. A clean, quick-reference layout makes it easy for you to put information to work immediately in your practice.
- Gain a new understanding of the patient-centered medical home and how to achieve this status in outpatient clinics.
- Make the most effective care decisions with help from "Evidence vs. Harm" icons that guide you through key treatments of common medical conditions.
- Take advantage of today’s most useful online resources with a convenient list of outstanding clinical websites.
- Quickly spot "Best Evidence Recommendations" with special boxes located throughout the text, and glean helpful tips on diagnosis and therapy from "Key Points" boxes found on every page.
Part One: Principles of Family Medicine
- The Family Physician
- The Patient-Centered Medical Home
- Psychosocial Influences on Health
- Care of the Elderly Patient
- Care of the Dying Patient
- Care of the Self
- Preventive Health Care
- Behavioral Change and Patient Empowerment
- Interpreting the Medical Literature: Applying Evidence-Based Medicine in Practice
- Information Technology
- Clinical Problem Solving
- Integrative Medicine
- Establishing Rapport
- Interpreting Laboratory Tests
- Infectious Diseases
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Care of the Newborn
- Growth and Development
- Behavioral Problems in Children and Adolescents
- Child Abuse
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Common Office Procedures
- Sports Medicine
- Common Issues in Orthopedics
- Back and Neck Pain
- Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Problems
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Nutrition and Family Medicine
- Urinary Tract Disorders
- Human Sexuality
- Clinical Genomics
- Crisis Intervention, Trauma, and Disasters
- Difficult Encounters: Patients with Personality Disorders
- Anxiety and Depression
- Delirium and Dementia
- Alcohol Use Disorders
- Nicotine Addiction
Part Two: Practice of Family Medicine
50. Substance Use Disorders
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2015
- 20th February 2015
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor, Department of Family and Community Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
Chair, Department of Family and Community Medicine The University of New Mexico School of Medicine Albuquerque, New Mexico
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.