- Print ISBN 9780323089890
- Electronic ISBN 9780323292627
- A building-block approach encourages you to use previously learned information to sharpen your critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Full-color design, with many full-color photomicrographs, prepares you for the reality of diagnostic microbiology.
- Learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter supply you with a measurable outcome to achieve by completing the material.
- A case study at the beginning of each chapter provides you with the opportunity to form your own questions and answers through discussion points.
- Issues to Consider boxes encourage you to analyze important points.
- Bolded key terms at the beginning of each chapter equip you with a list of the most important and relevant terms in each chapter.
- Points to Remember sections at the end of each chapter identify key concepts in a quick-reference, bulleted format.
- Hands-on procedures describe exactly what takes place in the micro lab, making content more interesting and relevant.
- Learning assessment questions at the conclusion of each chapter allow you to evaluate how well you have mastered material.
- Agents of bioterrorism chapter furnishes you with the most current information about this hot topic.
- Glossary of key terms at the end of the book supplies you with a quick reference for looking up definitions.
1. Bacterial Cell Structure, Physiology, Metabolism, and Genetics
2. Host-Parasite Interaction
3. The Laboratory Role in Infection Control
4. Control of Microorganisms
5. Performance Improvement in the Microbiology Laboratory
6. Specimen Collection and Processing
7. Microscopic Examination of Materials from Infected Sites
8. Use of Colony Morphology for the Presumptive Identification of Microorganisms
9. Biochemical Identification of Gram-Negative Bacteria
10. Immunodiagnosis of Infectious Diseases
11. Applications of Molecular Diagnostics
12. Antimicrobial Agent Mechanisms of Action and Resistance
13. Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing
PART II: LABORATORY IDENTIFICATION OF SIGNIFICANT ISOLATES
15. Streptococcus, Enterococcus, and Other Catalase-Negative Gram-Positive Cocci
16. Aerobic Gram-Positive Bacilli
17. Neisseria Species and Moraxella catarrhalis
18. Haemophilus and Other Fastidious Gram-Negative Bacilli
20. Vibrio, Aeromonas, Plesiomonas, and Campylobacter Species
21. Nonfermenting and Miscellaneous Gram-Negative Bacilli
22. Anaerobes of Clinical Importance
23. The Spirochetes
24. Chlamydia and Rickettsia
25. Mycoplasma and Ureaplasma
26. Mycobacterium Tuberculosis and Other Nontuberculosis Mycobacteria
27. Medically Significant Fungi
28. Diagnostic Parasitology
29. Clinical Virology
30. Agents of Bioterror
31. Biofilms: Architects of Disease
PART III: LABORATORY DIAGNOSIS OF INFECTIOUS DISEASES: AN ORGAN SYSTEM APPROACH TO DIAGNOSTIC MICROBIOLOGY
32. Upper and Lower Respiratory Tract Infections
33. Skin and Soft Tissue Infections
- No. of pages:
- © 2015
- 18th February 2014
- Print ISBN:
- Electronic ISBN: