2. Biomass and its Sources
3. Chemistry of Biomass
4. Biomass Conversion Approaches
5. Use of Raw Biomass and its Conversion to Energy
6. Biomass Logistics and Economics
7. Manufacturing Industrial Chemicals from Biomass
8. Derivation of Monomers from Biomass
9. Polymerization of Biomass-based Monomers
10. Direct Derivation of Polymers from Biomass
11. Processing of Biomass Derived Polymers
12. Material and Energy Balance for Conversion of Biomass Materials
13. Applications of Biomass Derived Polymers
14. Environmental Impact of Biomass Conversion
Technology and Applications of Polymers Derived from Biomass provides information on the range of different possible routes from biomass to polymeric materials, discusses the value and limitations of using biomass in material applications, and compares petrochemical-derived polymers with bio-based polymers.
The book imparts fundamental understanding of biomass, including its sources, types of biomass, chemistry of biomass, and handling concerns. It covers the manufacture of industrial chemicals from biomass and the derivation of monomers and polymers from biomass. It also goes into more detail in the processing and applications of biomass-derived polymers, to enable materials scientists and engineers to realise the potential of biomass as a sustainable source of polymers including plastics and elastomers.
The book is a one-stop-shop reference – giving students a basic understanding of the technology and how the material can be applied to industrial processes that will face them in the workforce, and giving materials engineers and product designers the information they need to make more informed material selection decisions.
- Provides fundamental understanding of an increasingly important approach to sourcing polymeric materials
- Includes actionable, relevant information to enable materials engineers and product designers to consider biomass-derived polymers in the products they are developing
- Discusses the environmental impact of biomass conversion, to help readers improve the sustainability of their operations
Product development engineers in the field of plastics, particularly in processing and production of biopolymers. Design engineers involved in creating new products and substituting biopolymers into existing products, particularly in packaging, automotive, medical sectors. Biopolymer researchers seeking to learn more about the raw materials of these polymers, and potential applications
- No. of pages:
- © William Andrew 2018
- 1st November 2017
- William Andrew
- Hardcover ISBN:
Syed Ali Ashter, Principal at Ashter Consultancy LLC., has worked on developing medical devices from concept to commercialization, and in process development. He performed post-doctoral research on next generation formable films for the automotive industry at McMaster University, and received his Ph.D. in 2008 in Plastics Engineering from University of Massachusetts Lowell. He has been on the Board of Directors of the Medical Plastics division of the Society of Plastics Engineers since 2012. He has published two books: ‘Thermoforming of Single and Multilayer Laminates’ at the end of 2013, and ‘Introduction to Bioplastics Engineering’ in 2016.
Principal at Ashter Consultancy LLC., Massachusetts, USA