Sustainable Transportation and Smart Logistics: Decision-Making Models and Solutions provides deterministic and probabilistic models for transportation logistics problem-solving and decision-making. The book begins with an overview of the intersections between sustainability, transportation, and logistics, but then delves into the current problems associated with the implementation of sustainable transportation and smart logistics in urban settings. Models for addressing complex structural problems, procedures for estimating transportation externalities, such as environmental and social impacts, both in industrial and government arenas, are also included, as are decision-making models from operational, tactical, and strategic management perspectives. Final sections cover best practices for practical corporate policy implementation.
- Examines all modes of transportation
- Includes mathematical models for decision-making in a wide variety of situations
- Presents public transportation and smart cities use cases that enable further understanding
Researchers, graduate students, practitioners, and policy makers in Transportation, Logistics, Urban Planning, Economics, Engineering, and Environmental Science
Part I: Basic Concepts in Transportation
1. Sustainable Transportation: Concepts and Current Practices
2. Introduction to the Technology, Applications, and Costs of Land Transport
3. Environmental Sustainability in Ports
4. A Review of Sustainability in Aviation: a Multidimensional Perspective
5. Intermodal Transport: Importance, Structure, and Planning Approaches
Part II: An Approximation to Sustainable Transporation and Smart Logistics
6. Economic Measurement of Environmental Costs for Transportation Activity
7. Green Network Design Problems
8. Sustainable Logistics with Cargo Bikes: Methods and Applications
9. Environmental Sustainability of Transportation Terminals
Part III: Decision-Making in Sustainable Transportation and Smart Logistics
10. Decision-Making Using Exact Optimization Methods in Sustainable Transportation
11. Decision-Making Using Metaheuristic Optimization Methods in Sustainable Transportation
12. Decision-Making Using Simulation Methods in Sustainable Transportation
Part IV: Current and Future Trends in Sustainable Transportation and Smart Logistics
13. Current and Future Dynamic Passenger Transport Services: modelling, Simulation, and Fleet Optimization in a Sustainable Transport System
14. Sustainable Road Traffic by Using Evolutionary Algorithms
15. Crowd-Based City Logistics
16. Future Trends in Sustainable Transportation
Part V: Applications and Case Studies
17. Enabling Smart city Provenance-Based Applications to Improve Urban Mobility in Brazilian Cities
18. The Trade-Off between the Three Columns of Sustainability: A Case Study from the Home Service Industry
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2019
- 1st October 2018
- Paperback ISBN:
Javier Faulin, Professor, Operations Research and Statistics, Public University of Navarre, Pamplona, Spain. Javier is Editorial Board Member of Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Journal of Applied Operational Research, International Journal of Applied Management Science, and International Journal of Operations Research and Information Systems. He is the author of more than 120 logistics, routing and simulation articles, and his research includes transportation and logistics, vehicle routing, and simulation modeling and analysis.
Professor, Operations Research and Statistics, Public University of Navarre, Pamplona, Spain
Scott Grasman, Professor, Kettering University (MI). Scott is author or co-author of more than 100 papers and Hydrogen Energy and Vehicle Systems (CRC Press, 2012), and is as reviewer for numerous journals.
Professor, Kettering University, Flint, MI, USA
Angel Juan, Associate Professor, Operations Research & Analytics, Department of Computer Science, Multimedia, and Telecommunication, Open University of Catalonia, Barcelona, Spain. Angel is Editorial Board Member of Journal of Simulation, European Journal of Industrial Engineering, International Journal of Data Analysis Techniques and Strategies, Journal of Computer Science, International Journal of Information Systems & Social Change, and International Journal of Educational Technology in Higher Education. He is the author of more than 120 papers, and his research include applications of metaheuristics and simheuristics in transportation and logistics, finance, and computing.
Associate Professor, Operations Research and Analytics, Department of Computer Science, Multimedia, and Telecommunication, Open University of Catalonia, Barcelona, Spain
Patrick Hirsch, Associate Professor and Deputy Head, Institute of Production and Logistics, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna. Patrick is Area Editor of the Journal of Applied Operational Research for Energy, Natural Resources and Environment, and serves as a reviewer for other scientific journals. His research includes sustainable transportation logistics, health care logistics, and disaster management.
Associate Professor and Deputy Head, Institute of Production and Logistics, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna