Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Sustainable Food Systems from Agriculture to Industry: Improving Production and Processing addresses the principle that food supply needs of the present must be met without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs. Responding to sustainability goals requires maximum utilization of all raw materials produced and integration of activities throughout all production-to-consumption stages. This book covers production stage activities to reduce postharvest losses and increase use of by-products streams (waste), food manufacturing and beyond, presenting insights to ensure energy, water and other resources are used efficiently and environmental impacts are minimized.
The book presents the latest research and advancements in efficient, cost-effective, and environmentally friendly food production and ways they can be implemented within the food industry. Filling the knowledge gap between understanding and applying these advancements, this team of expert authors from around the globe offer both academic and industry perspectives and a real-world view of the challenges and potential solutions that exist for feeding the world in the future. The book will guide industry professionals and researchers in ways to improve the efficiency and sustainability of food systems.
- Addresses why food waste recovery improves sustainability of food systems, how these issues can be adapted by the food industry, and the role of policy making in ensuring sustainable food production
- Describes in detail the latest understanding of food processing, food production and waste reduction issues
- Includes emerging topics, such as sustainable organic food production and computer aided process engineering
- Analyzes the potential and sustainability of already commercialized processes and products
Researchers; specialists; agriculturalists; professionals and strategy developers working in the agro-food industry from farm to fork, chemical engineers. University libraries and Institutes as a textbook and/or ancillary reading in graduates and post-graduate level multi-discipline courses dealing with sustainable food systems, agricultural and environmental science, food processing, or bioresource valorization
Part A: Sustainable Food Production
1. Introduction to Sustainable Food Production
Renan Oliveira Zocca, Pedro Dinis Gaspar, Pedro Dinho da Silva, José Nunes, Luís Pinto de Andrade
2. Elucidating Local Food Production to Identify Principles and Challenges for Sustainable Agriculture
Oren Shelef, Jesús D Fernández-Bayo, Yonatan Sher, Valeria Ancona, Heather Slinn, Yigal Achmon
3. Role of Earthworm in Sustainable Agriculture
4. Evaluating the Environmental, Economic and Social Sustainability of Agro-Food Systems Through Life Cycle Approaches
Giovanni Gulisano, Alfio Strano, Anna Irene De Luca, Giacomo Falcone, Nathalie Iofrida, Teodora Stillitano
5. Systems for Sustainability and Transparency of Food Supply Chains
Part B: Sustainable Food Processing
6. Energy saving food processing
Shahin Roohinejad, Oleksii Parniakov, Nooshin Nikmaram, Ralf Greiner, Mohamed Koubaa
7. Drying and chilling/freezing of perishable foods in the organic sector
Gardis J. E. von Gersdorff, Michael Bantle, Oliver Hensel, Barbara Sturm
8. Sustainable Packaging
Valentina Siracusa, Marco Dalla Rosab
9. Sustainable Sanitation in the Food Industry
10. Microbial Biosurfactants in Food Sanitation
Deepansh Sharma, Esha Gupta, Joginder Singh, Pratibha Vyas, Daljeet Singh Dhanjal
Part C: Sustainable Food Waste Management
11. Food Waste Valorisation
Semih Otles, Canan Kartal
12. Food Waste Recovery: Prospects and Opportunities
Charis M. Galanakis
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2018
- 2nd January 2018
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Charis M. Galanakis is a multidisciplinary scientist in agricultural sciences as well as food and environmental science, technology, and sustainability, with experience in both industry and academia. He is the research and innovation director of Galanakis Laboratories in Chania, Greece, an adjunct professor of King Saud University in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and the director of Food Waste Recovery Group (SIG5) of ISEKI Food Association in Vienna, Austria. He pioneered the new discipline of food waste recovery and has established the most prominent innovation network in the field. He also serves as a senior consultant for the food industry and expert evaluator for international and regional funded programs and proposals. He is an editorial board member of Food and Bioproducts Processing, Food Research International, and Foods, has edited over 45 books, and has published hundreds of research articles, reviews, monographs, chapters, and conference proceedings.
Galanakis Laboratories, Chania, Greece
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.