Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Sustainable Fish Production and Processing is a unique resource bridging the gap between academia and industry by analyzing in detail new, state of the art fish production, processing, and waste management. It explores general valorization methods, focusing on the extraction of high added-value compounds and their reutilization in different fields of the food and nutraceuticals industry. The book takes a comprehensive approach to understanding the most recent advances in the field, while analyzing the potentiality and sustainability of already commercialized processes and products. It could be utilized as a handbook for anyone dealing with sustainability issues within the fish industry.
Emphasis of fish production will be given to food security issues, large marine ecosystems, aquaculture genomics, epigenetics and breeding, proteomics for quality and safety in fishery products, post-harvest practices in small scale fisheries, and life cycle impact of industrial aquaculture systems. Emphasis of fish processing and by-products, will be given on industrial thawing of fish blocks, sources and functional properties of fish protein hydolysates, recovery technologies and applications, potential biomedical applications, ready-to-eat products, fish waste for bacterial protease production, fish waste for feeding as well as lipid extraction from fish processing for biofuels.
- Covers recent advances in the field of fish production and processing over the last decade following the sustainability principles
- Discusses advantages and disadvantages of relevant processes from various perspective to improve sustainability
- Offers practical success stories and solutions to ensure the sustainable management of fish processing by-products
Food and aquaculture scientists and technologists; Professionals working in the fish industry; Food engineers who work in the fish industry and are seeking to improve their by-products management by actively utilizing waste streams in effective applications; Food, chemical and environmental engineers; Researchers working in the edge of food and environmental field. Book could be used in any course dealing with aquaculture science and technology, food waste management, valorization and sustainability, especially in post graduated programs
- Fish production and food security
2. Large marine ecosystems and sustainable fisheries
3. Aquaculture genomics, genetics and breeding
4. Epigenetics in aquaculture
5. Proteomics for quality and safety in fishery products
6. Fish feeding systems
7. Post-harvest practices in small scale fisheries
8. Life cycle impact of industrial aquaculture systems
9. Industrial thawing of fish blocks
10. Sources and functional properties of fish protein hydolysates
11. Technologies for the recovery of proteins from fish processing by-products
12. Calcium phosphates from fish bones and their potential biomedical application
13. Ready-to-eat products elaborated with mechanically separated fish meat from waste processing
14. Fish waste for bacterial protease production
15. Fish waste for feeding
16. Lipid extraction from fish processing for biofuels
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2021
- 1st September 2021
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
Dr. Galanakis is an interdisciplinary scientist. He is the research and innovation director of Galanakis Laboratories (Chania, Greece) and the coordinator of the Food Waste Recovery Group of the ISEKI-Food Association (Vienna, Austria). He serves as an expert evaluator and monitor of international and regional funded programs and proposals, whereas he is an editorial board member and subject editor of Food and Bioproducts Processing and Food Research International. He has edited nine books and published ~100 articles
Galanakis Laboratories, Chania, Greece
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.