Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Sustainable Agriculture and the Environment describes the relationship of agriculture, society, nature and the environment; sustainable agriculture and sustainable development goals, management of biophysical resources for sustainable food and environment; traditional knowledge and innovative options; social and policy aspects of sustainable agriculture and environment to empower effective and efficient application of best-practices.
mproving food security without compromising the ecosystem services is increasingly a challenge in light of global human population growth, declining reserves of natural resources and in the face of severe climate change. Both environmental and public health must be aligned in order to successfully achieve the SDG goal Zero Hunger. Implementing sustainable agricultural practices can help through harmonizing natural processes that promote resilience of the agroecosystem for sustained production as well as the nourishment of the growing population. Thus, by delivering sustainable nutrition, sustainable agriculture makes the bridge between environmental and public health and aids towards developing a greener economy.
Sustainable Agriculture and the Environment presents both environmental and economic principles. Environmental criterion concern with technology protection or enhancing the farm resource base and thus improving soil productivity in terms of not only the quantity; but the quality while economic criterion is the technology meeting the farmer’s production goals and is profitable. Satisfaction of these two criteria demands specific knowledge on the linkages between environmental degradation and its potential pathways to marginalize. The development and application of a robust policy and good institutional system to execute the practices plays vital role for successful use of sustainable agriculture for healthy environment and climate resilience.
Sustainable Agriculture and the Environment integrates the concept of continuing improvement in agriculture productivity, profitability and competitiveness by sustainable management of natural resources. Leading researchers in the field describe the principles, and synthesize recent advances and developments in sustainable agriculture research, providing a ready reference on sustainability, sustainable agriculture and environment, and reinforces the understanding for its utilization to develop environmentally sustainable and profitable food production systems.
- Includes case studies to provide real-world insight
- Relates traditional knowledge and innovation, maximizing the potential from both
- Reinforces understanding of the role of sustainable agriculture in developing environmentally sustainable and profitable food systems
Those working to improve agricultural production from a comprehensive approach. Researchers, graduate students and academicians in the fields of sustainable agriculture, climate change, and food security
Part I: Introduction
1. Sustainable Agriculture and Environment
2. Agriculture, Society, Nature and the Environment
3. Sustainable Agriculture for Food and Nutritional Security
4. Sustainable Agriculture and Sustainable Development Goal
5. Sustainable Agriculture and Soil Biodiversity
Part II: Management of Biophysical Resources for Sustainable Food, Health, and Environment
6. Management of Soil and Nutrients for Sustainable Agriculture and Environment
7. Water Harvesting and Management for Sustainable Agriculture and Environment
8. Carbon Management and Sequestration and Mitigation of Gaseous for Sustainable Agriculture and Environment
9. Management of Agricultural Pests for Sustainable Agriculture and Environment
10. Conservation of Biodiversity and Genetic Resources for Sustainable Agriculture
11. Recycling and Management of Agricultural By-Products
Part III: Traditional Knowledge and Innovative Options
12. Ecological Processes in Sustainability of Agriculture and Environment
13. Use of Traditional Ecological Knowledge and Resource Management
14. Re-designing and co-designing Farming Systems for Sustainable Agriculture and Environment
15. Alternate Farming Systems for Sustainable Agriculture and Environment
16. Urban and Pre-Urban Agriculture
17. Agroforestry for Sustainable Agriculture and Environment
18. Livestock – Crop Interaction for Sustainable Agriculture and Environment
19. Spatializing Crop Models for Sustainable Agriculture and Environment
Part IV: Social and Policy Aspects of Sustainable Agriculture and Environment
20. The Economic, Social, Political and Institutional Context of Sustainability
21. Agricultural Policies and Sustainable Agriculture and Environment
22. Challenges, Constraints and Opportunities in Sustainable Agriculture and Environment
23. Education and Information Dissemination for Sustainable Agriculture and Environment
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2022
- 1st May 2022
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
Muhammad Farooq is Associate Professor at the Sultan Qaboos University, Muscat, Oman. He also holds the positions of Associate Professor at the University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan, Adjunct Associate Professor at the University of Western Australia, Adjunct Professor at the Dankook University, Korea. He was also Young Affiliate fellow of The World Academy of Sciences (2015-2019) and is member of Global Young Academy and Pakistan Academy of Sciences. He received ‘Best Young Research Scholar Award’ from the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan (2013 and 2014). He was honored with the COMSTECH Award for Excellence in Research (2016) by Organization of Islamic Conference and Gold Medal (2017) by Pakistan Academy of Sciences. He received the Best University Teacher Award (2018) from the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan and was named as Highly Cited Researcher by the Web of Science (2018 and 2019). He received the distinguished researcher award (2020) from the Sultan Qaboos University. He has edited and co-edited eight books, and authored and co-authored more than 380 research articles and 49 book chapters. His citations, on google scholar, exceed 22,000 with h-index of 72.
Associate Professor, Department of Plant Sciences, College of Agricultural and Marine Sciences, Sultan Qaboos University, Oman
Nirmali Gogoi has received her Ph.D. degree form Dibrugarh University,Dibrugarh. Her Thesis title was "METHANE EMISSION ESTIMATION FROM DIFFERENT RICE AGROECOSYSTEMS OF ASSAM". She is a active reviewer for different journals such as Journal of Earth Science and Climate Change, African Journal of Biotechnology, African Journal of Microbial Research and Cogent Food and Agriculture (Taylor and Frencise). She has 56 Original Research Papers, 3 Chapters/Reviews and 1 Papers in proceedings of Conferences. Her research interests include environmental physiology of plants, carbon sequestration in agricultural ecosystems, and greenhouse gas emission from agricultural ecosystems.
Tezpur University, Assaam, India
Michele Pisanteis Professor of Agronomy, Faculty of Biosciences and Agro-Food and Environmental Technology, University of Teramo and member at PhD Course in Crop Science, University of Padova, Italy. Research activity is focused on Sustainable Intensification of Agricultural Production, soil and water conservation, decision-making tools for digital agriculture for improving national and international cooperation for sustainable agriculture growth and natural resource management. Scientific Director of the Edagricole "University and Education" editorial book series. He is author of books and publications, of which 58 on International Journals (Scopus: h-index 17; T-citations 1416); Guest editor of a Special issue of AIMS “Agriculture and Food” international Open Access journal on topic “Sustainable Crop Production Intensification”; "Conservation Agriculture for Ecosystem Services" of the journal Agriculture and Research Topic (article collection) “Digital imaging of plants” of the journal Frontiers in Plant Science. Co-inventor of European patent “Method for increasing the content of useful components in edible plants”.
Professor of Agronomy, Faculty of Biosciences and Agro-Food and Environmental Technology, University of Teramo, Italy
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.