Get unrivaled practice mastering all the concepts and skills necessary for success in today’s fast-paced medical office with the Study Guide for Today’s Medical Assistant. Filled with assignment sheets, pre- and post-tests, vocabulary practice, short-answer review questions, critical thinking activities, competency practice, and evaluations for each chapter, this comprehensive study guide is the perfect hands-on resource to jump-start your medical assisting expertise. The 4th Edition features enhanced coverage of healthcare law, certification, electronic health records, motivational interviewing, office management, and more, as well as additional procedures to address behavior-based competencies and more EHR practice.
- Expanded application to SimChart for the Medical Office provides more realistic practice with EHRs.
- Consistent and meticulous coverage throughout all elements of the text and its learning package provide reliable content and unparalleled accuracy on the responsibilities of the modern medical assistant.
- Chapter pre-tests and post-tests enable you to easily gauge how much content you have mastered.
- Critical thinking activities encourage you to develop the judgment needed for real-life medical office situations.
- Laboratory assignments at the beginning of each chapter offer a guide on each chapter’s procedures.
- Practice for Competency checklists for each procedure help you practice each of your clinical skills.
- Perforated pages offer on-the-go review and enable easy assignment submission.
SECTION 1: Introduction to Medical Assisting
1. The Health Care System
2. The Professional Medical Assistant
3. Ethics and Law for the Medical Office
4. Interacting with Patients
SECTION 2: Anatomy and Physiology
5. Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology
6. Integumentary System
7. Skeletal System
8. Muscular System
9. Nervous System
10. The Senses
11. Endocrine System
12. Circulatory System
13. Respiratory System
14. Digestive System
15. Urinary System
16. Reproductive System
SECTION 3: Clinical Component
17. Medical Asepsis and the OSHA Standard
18. Sterilization and Disinfection
19. Vital Signs
20. The Physical Examination
21. Eye and Ear Assessment and Procedures
22. Physical Agents to Promote Tissue Healing
23. The Gynecologic Examination and Prenatal Care
24. The Pediatric Examination
25. Minor Office Surgery
26. Administration of Medication and Intravenous Therapy
27. Cardiopulmonary Procedures
28. Specialty Examinations and Procedures: Colon Procedures, Male Reproductive Health, and Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging
29. Introduction to the Clinical Laboratory
33. Blood Chemistry and Immunology
34. Medical Microbiology
36. Emergency Preparedness and Protective Practices
37. Emergency Medical Procedures and First Aid
SECTION 4: Administrative Component
38. The Medical Record
39. Patient Reception
40. Medical Office Computerization
41. Telephone Techniques
42. Scheduling Appointments
43. Medical Records Management
44. Written Communications and Mail
45. Managing Practice Finances
46. Medical Coding
47. Medical Insurance
48. Billing and Collections
49. The Medical Assistant as Office Manager
50. Obtaining Employment
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2021
- 2nd March 2020
- Paperback ISBN:
Coordinator and Instructor, Medical Assistant Technology, Hocking College, Nelsonville, OH, Former member, Curriculum Review Board of the American Association of Medical Assistants
Former Professor and Coordinator, Medical Assisting Program, Middlesex Community College, Lowell, MA