Reinforce your understanding of essential examination and assessment skills! As both a comprehensive lab manual and a practical workbook the Laboratory Manual for Physical Examination and Health Assessment, 3rd Canadian Edition provides you with activities and resources to enhance hands-on learning. It features reading assignments corresponding to the text, terminology reviews, application activities, review questions, clinical learning objectives, regional write-up sheets, and narrative summary forms. In addition, this new version includes content on the Electronic Health Record to help you document your findings along with evidence-informed practice materials to further improve upon skills.
- Anatomy labelling exercises reinforces the identification of key anatomy and physiology.
- Reading assignments correspond to the text chapters to foster integration of the text and laboratory manual.
- A glossary promotes learning and understanding of essential terminology.
- Study guide activities reinforce the learning of key assessment information.
- Review questions—short answer, matching, multiple choice—provide learning activities in a variety of approaches.
- Clinical-learning objectives focus your study efforts on outcomes.
- Audio-visual assignments tie the visual video demonstrations of specific examination procedures to practical applications in the skills lab.
- Regional Write-up Sheets allow you to assess knowledge with forms used in the skills lab or clinical setting.
- Narrative Summary Forms reflect charting format used for narrative accounts of the history and physical examination findings.
Unit 1: Assessment of the Whole Person
1. Critical Thinking and Evidence-Informed Assessment
2. Health Promotion in the Context of Health Assessment
3. Cultural and Social Considerations in Health Assessment
4. The Interview
5. The Complete Health History
6. Mental Health Assessment
7. Substance Use and Health Assessment
8. Interpersonal Violence Assessment
Unit 2: Approach to the Clinical Setting
9. Assessment Techniques and Safety in the Clinical Setting (title change)
10. General Survey, Measurements, and Vital Signs
11. Pain Assessment
12. Nutritional Assessment and Nursing Practice
Unit 3: Physical Examination
13. Skin, Hair, and Nails
14. Head, Face, and Neck, Including Regional Lymphatic System
17. Nose, Mouth, and Throat
18. Breasts and Regional Lymphatic System
19. Thorax and Lungs
20. Heart and Neck Vessels
21. Peripheral Vascular System and Lymphatic System
22. The Abdomen
23. Anus, Rectum, and Prostate
24. Musculoskeletal System
25. Neurological System
26. Male Genitourinary System
27. Female Genitourinary System
Unit 4: Integration of the Health Assessment
28. The Complete Health Assessment: Putting It All Together
29. Bedside Assessment and Electronic Health Recording (title change)
31. Functional Assessment of the Older Adult
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders Canada 2019
- 8th November 2018
- Saunders Canada
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Carolyn Jarvis, PhD, APRN, CNP
Professor, School of Nursing, Illinois Wesleyan University; Nurse Practitioner, Community Health Care Clinic, Bloomington, Illinois
Linda Van Pelt, MScN, NP-F , Assistant Professor
Coordinator, Family Nurse Practitioner Program School of Nursing University of Northern British Columbia, Prince George, BC
Mary Ellen Labrecque, PhD, RN (NP), Assistant Professor
Acting Assistant Dean Prince Albert and the North College of Nursing University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK
Lorelei J. Newton, PhD, RN
Nursing Department, School of Health and Human Services Camosun College, Victoria, BC
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.