Providing an advanced introduction to the field of structural bodywork, this valuable resource combines coverage of both skills and theory into one comprehensive guide to this specialized form of bodywork practice. Featuring numerous illustrations with photographs and drawings, it provides extensive information on the theory of structural bodywork related to human anatomy and clinical presentations. Focusing on issues related to dysfunctions of structure, posture, and gait, this reader-friendly text also discusses the background of structural bodywork, how it has developed, and how it is understood today.
- Content is highly readable, academically sound, and grounded firmly in bodywork practice.
- Previously unrelated theories are discussed and applied to practice.
- The well-known theories of Rolf and Feldenkrais are reviewed.
- A comprehensive practical manual section provides numerous techniques and models for a variety of musculoskeletal skeletal problems.
- Numerous illustrations provide a better understanding of text content.
Section 1: Background and History of Structural Bodywork
Structural bodywork: An overview
A brief history of structural bodywork
Structural bodywork in the context of other complementary therapies
What is structural bodywork?
Structural bodywork – some frequently asked questions
Section 2: Our Somatic Organisation
The mapping of man
The techniques of structural bodywork
Structure and function
The connective tissue network
The oscillatory properties of the fascial network
Section 3: Practical Manual
A catalogue of some common postural dysfunctions
Some useful models for working with structure
Practicum – assessment, technique and strategy in structural bodywork
A first approximation to balancing structure
Working in the sagittal plane
Working on the frontal plane
Working on the transverse plane
Working with the shoulder girdles
Working with the external rotation of the leg
- No. of pages:
- © Churchill Livingstone 2005
- 26th November 2004
- Churchill Livingstone
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN: