Strategic Industry-University Partnerships: Industry Perspectives on Innovation Creation captures the observations of large and mid-size international corporations and universities to serve as a guide to strengthening organizational alliances. University-industry partnerships have proved vital to innovation, and although these partnerships can fail, careful choices and wise management often yield gains for everyone. University assessments of these partnerships have been widely described, but industry perspectives are less well understood.
- Presents the key challenges of university-industry collaboration and how large and medium-sized companies solve them
- Describes views from pharma, aerospace, technology, petroleum and other industries of working with university groups on strategic projects
- Offers current insights from industry perspectives about selecting project topics and scopes, developing public-private partnerships and implementing university collaborations within company strategies
Graduate students, university administrators, and professionals worldwide involved in university-commercial collaborations
- The Challenge of Reducing Complexity: How to Select the Topics and Scope of Collaborations
2. Selecting University Partners Globally and How Does Industry Track University Relations for Success?
3. Building Innovation through Long Term Public Private Partnerships
4. Orchestrating University-Industry Collaborations through a Strategic Corporate Program
5. Unwritten Rules of Leading a Large Academic Network
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2018
- 1st June 2018
- Paperback ISBN:
Lars Frolund is development manager for knowledge collaboration and a PhD fellow at Aarhus University, Denmark. In 2005 he established one of the first units for university/industry collaboration in Denmark. He has since worked intensively to develop strategic collaborations between research and private companies.
Aarhus University, Denmark
Dr. Max Riedel is senior consultant at Siemens Corporate Technology University Relations. His daily tasks include consulting Siemens businesses in all aspects of university cooperation, ranging from developing a partnering strategy over finding suitable research partners to fostering long-term strategic cooperation. He is also key account manager for two of Siemens’ Strategic Partner Universities.
"A true treasure trove for those interested in initiating and managing university-industry collaboration, written by knowledgeable practitioners from some of the best known corporations with long-established collaboration." --Markus Perkmann, Imperial College London
"These case studies uncover insider practices for organizing business-university cooperation and reveal some of the hidden DNA of successful innovation. They form a great collection of valuable insights into the intricate machinery of successful business-university R&D cooperation and make clear how ‘big industry’ improves its strategic R&D by partnering with universities." --Robert J.W. Tijssen, Leiden University
"Strategic Industry-University Partnerships offers an informative journey to the mindset of innovative industry companies, as they thrive toward maximized benefits from working with universities. This book is a must-read for the academics and industry experts alike, as they search for their own strategy in the complex environment." --Pasi Lautala, Michigan Tech University