Few forces in contemporary society influence the fortunes of tourism destinations more immediately than sport.
From football fans to kayaking, Sports Tourism Destinations: issues, opportunities and analysis examines the planning, development and management of sport tourism destinations. With contributions from international experts, this book looks at the dramatic effects sports tourism has on the economy and future of tourism destinations.
Divided into four parts, the book systematically covers:
- Sports tourism destination analysis: applies principles of destination resource analysis to the study of sport tourism destinations
- Destination planning and development: illustrates the mutually beneficial links between sport, tourism and destination planning.
- Destination marketing and management: explores theoretical and applied aspects of sport tourism destination marketing and management *Sport tourism impacts and environments: identifies and discusses critical issues of sustainable development at sport tourism destinations
Practical case studies in each chapter illustrate and highlight the links between sport tourism theory and practice.
- A unique text in this fast growing area, focussing on the effects of sporting events on the tourism destination economy
- Contributions from international experts
- Each chapter focuses on practical real life examples and case studies to clearly illustrate the links between theory and practice.
Primary: final year undergraduate and postgraduate students taking modules on sports tourism on leisure management/studies, sports management/studies and tourism management/studies courses. Secondary: Industry professionals in sports and tourism sectors.
Sport tourism destination analysis (Bull); Destination resource analysis; Understanding sport tourism markets(Delpy-Neirotti): Understanding sport tourist experiences (Gibson); Players and teams (Francis & Murphy); Destination planning and development (Hall); Sport and tourism management (Stevens); Sport tourism policy (Weed); Sports tourism destinations: Planning and development issues (Hall); Strategies for sport tourism destinations (Webb); Destination marketing and management; Marketing, media and place promotion (Chalip); Sport tourist behaviour (Ryan, Trauer); Sport and tourism seasonality (Hudson); Sport and urban destination management Sport tourism impacts and environments; The economics of sport tourism at major sports events (Gratton); Sport tourism and resource impacts (Orams); Sport, culture and place (Hinch); Sport and the evolution of destinations (Butler); The future of sport tourism
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2005
- 17th September 2004
- Hardcover ISBN:
"Researchers as well as students will find this book valuable for accessing the current body of knowledge on sports tourism, and will be stimulated to engage in research on unanswered questions surrounding sport tourism destinations." Tourism Management Volume 27, Issue 5 , October 2006, Pages 1078-1079