Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Space Science and Public Engagement: 21st Century Perspectives and Opportunities critically examines the many dimensions of public engagement with space science by exploring case studies that show a spectrum of public engagement formats, ranging from the space science community's efforts to communicate developments to the public, to citizenry attempting to engage with space science issues. It addresses why public engagement is important to space science experts, what approaches they take, how public engagement varies locally, nationally and internationally, and what roles "non-experts" have played in shaping space science.
Space scientists, outreach specialists in various scientific disciplines, policymakers and citizens interested in space science will find great insights in this book that will help inform their future engagement strategies.
- Critically examines how expert organizations and the space science community have sought to bring space science to the public
- Examines how the public has responded, and in some cases self-organized, to opportunities to contribute to space science
- Outlines future engagement interests and possibilities
Students and professors in space and planetary science; policymakers and those working in public outreach in other scientific disciplines
- A Space to Explore: Mars Public Engagement Strategies for a Spacefaring Society
- Science Centers and Planetariums: Bringing the Universe within Public Reach
- Engaging the Public with the Great American Eclipse of 2017
- The Power of Hubble Space Telescope Imagery
- Enabling Learning and Empowering Workforce Preparation Using Space-based Authentic Experiences in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- The Symbiosis of Popular Culture and the Space Sciences
- Public Engagement with Planetary Science: Experiences with Astrobiology and Planetary Defense
- Amateur Astronomy
- The Engagement Activities of ESTCube-1: How Estonia Built and Fell in Love with a Tiny Satellite
- From Green Peas to STEVE: Citizen Science Engagement in Space Science
- From Management to Engagement: How South Africa's Square Kilometer Array Project Transformed its Interactions with Stakeholder Groups
- Crowdfunding for Space Science and Public Engagement: The Planetary Society Shares Lessons Learned
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2021
- 4th June 2021
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Amy Paige Kaminski serves as program executive for prizes and challenges at NASA Headquarters in Washington, D.C., where she develops strategies to expand the space agency’s use of open innovation methods in its research and exploration activities. She was previously senior policy advisor in NASA’s Office of the Chief Scientist, where she supported NASA’s efforts to involve citizens as contributors to its research activities. Before joining NASA, Dr. Kaminski served as a NASA program examiner at the White House Office of Management and Budget and held positions in the Federal Aviation Administration’s Office of the Associate Administrator for Commercial Space Transportation and at the National Space Society. She is also former editor of the American Astronautical Society’s Space Times magazine. Dr. Kaminski received her BA in Earth and Planetary Sciences from Cornell University, MA in Science, Technology, and Public Policy from The George Washington University, and MS and PhD and in Science and Technology Studies from Virginia Tech. Her work, Sharing the Shuttle with America: NASA and Public Engagement after Apollo, won the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics’ 2018 History Manuscript Award and will be published in a forthcoming book. She is also an author of numerous articles and book chapters on public engagement and space exploration.
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.