- Solid waste: What is it? (I. Twardowska).
- Solid waste origins: sources, trends, quality, quantity (I. Twardowska, H.E. Allen). II. Legislation, regulations and management strategies.
- Regulatory frameworks as an instrument of waste management strategies (I. Twardowska, W.J. Lacy).
- The Basel Convention and its implementation (I. Rummel-Bulska). III. Chemical pollution potential from solid waste: Short- and long-term effect.
- Assessment of pollution potential from solid waste (I. Twardowska).
- Agricultural wastes (T. Al Seadi, J.B. Holm-Nielsen).
- Agrochemicals: transport potential in the vadose and saturated zones (K.-P. Seiler).
- Sewage sludge (I. Twardowska, K.-W. Schramm, K. Berg).
- Dredged material (W. Calmano, U. Förstner).
- Mining waste (J. Szczepanska, I. Twardowska).
- Coal combustion waste (I. Twardowska, J. Szczepanska).IV. Advances in solid waste characterization and monitoring.
- The changing face of environmental monitoring (D. Friedman).
- Identification of unknown solid waste (Tung-ho Chen).
- Remote monitors for in situ characterization of hazardous wastes (T. Vo-Dinh).
- Advanced biomonitoring of solid waste and waste disposal facilities. 4.1. Biomonitors based on immunological principles (D. Knopp, R. Nissner). 4.2. A simple cleanup procedure and bioassay for determining TCDD-toxicity equivalents of environmental samples (K.-W. Schramm, A.A.F. Kettrup).
- Principles of vadose and saturated zones monitoring in solid waste sites exemplified in mining waste dumps (J. Szczepanska, I. Twardowska).
- Specimen banking as a source of retrospecti
This book covers a broad group of wastes, from biowaste to hazardous waste, but primarily the largest (by mass and volume) group of wastes that are not hazardous, but also are not inert, and are problematic for three major reasons: (1) they are difficult to manage because of their volume: usually they are used in civil engineering as a common fill etc., where they are exposed to environmental conditions almost the same way as at disposal sites; (2) they are not geochemically stable and in the different periods of environmental exposure undergo transformations that might add hazardous properties to the material that are not displayed when it is freshly generated; (3) many designers and researchers in different countries involved in waste management are often not aware of time-delayed adverse environmental impact of some large-volume waste, and also do not consider some positive properties that may extend the area of their environmentally beneficial application.
- No. of pages:
- © Pergamon 2004
- 22nd April 2004
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
"Will serve as an excellent source of current reference on SW, for critically evaluating the legislative aspects, pollution potential, monitoring techniques, safe disposal options and future directions. It makes a valuable contribution to the knowledge and implementation of SW management." -P. Agamuthu, University of Malaya, in WASTE MANAGEMENT AND RESEARCH, 2005 @qu: "I recommend this book for its great amount of previously unreported information on solid wastes as well as excellent discussion on the impact of waste handling and disposal." @source: JOURNAL OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS, 2004 @qu: "Although superficially the book looks like any other book on SW, the areas covered have been dealt with in greater depth and with critical analysis. ...the book will serve as an excellent source of current reference on SW, for critically evaluating the legislative aspects, pollution potential, monitoring techniques, safe disposal options and future directions. It makes a valuable contribution to the knowledge and implementation of SW management." @source: WASTE MANAGEMENT AND RESEARCH, 2005
Polish Academy of Science, Institute of Environmental Engineering, Zabre, Poland
Centre for the Study of Metals in the Environment, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, USA
Institute of Ecological Chemistry, GSF-National Research Centre for Environment & Health, Neuherberg, Germany
Alexandria, VA, USA